How to move Exchange 2003 to new hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to move Exchange 2003 to new hardware

My Exchange 2003 server is currently running on Windows 2003 Server. it is kind of unstable and i would like to move it to better hardware server. I have bought the machine and installed Windows 2003 server and the latest service pack. Please advise what the best method of doing this hopefully risk free.

Re: How to move Exchange 2003 to new hardware

The best method would be to install a new server, move mailboxes, replicate PFs, address other issues (see http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;822931).

Then disconnect the old server for a few days, see if anyone yells bloody murder. If not, uninstall it and remove the server from the domain.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

my current server happens to be Domain Controller also and i know it is not good idea but i took over the server and it was already there. what would i do in this case?

Comment

Install another server, DCPROMO it, move FSMO, make it GC, make sure DNS is set up correctly, and then after a few days DCPROMO the first DC to be a member server. I suggest you do this just before you're ready to get rid of it, because removing the DC role from an Exchange server might cause you other problems to the server, therefore try to do it as the last step before removing it.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
        X