Telnet connection to Exchange Server port 110 fails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telnet connection to Exchange Server port 110 fails

Our Exchange Server 2003 appears to be functioning correctly per my current Outlook connection (properly receiving mail). However, I am unable to establish a telnet connection to port 110 for testing POP3 (see How can I verify that my Exchange server is accepting connections? How can I connect to my Exchange srver via Telnet? at :http://www.petri.com/smtp_pop3_and_telnet.htm

The response is: Could not open connection to the host, on port 110: Connect failed.

I am able to connect to port 25 and manually send an email messave via Telnet.

Any thoughts on why I am unable to Telnet to port 110.

Re: Telnet connection to Exchange Server port 110 fails

Things to check:

1) POP3 service is disabled by default. Enable it and make it start.

2) FW limitations.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks for your reply Daniel.

I thought Exchange used POP3 to communicate with Outlook clients via port 110. My mistake.

Here is what I am trying to do. There are some unknown (to me, anyway) issues going on with our Exchange Server. The guys are having difficulty keeping it up. I can easily telnet to port 25 and determine if it is accepting inbound messages. I would also like to test if my Outlook client should be able to receive messages from the server. I was attempting to do this by telneting to port 110. This worked per your aforementioned article with mail servers like Comcast. Is there a similar method to manually recieve a message from Exchange?

In the past I have simply relied on the "Connected" notation and the Send/Receive of Outlook to insure connectivity with Exchange. However, with the current Exchange issues, Outlook can be misleading. I have had it indicate that it is unable to connect with Exchange only to have the problem disappear if I reboot my machine.

I would like to find a definative test without haveing to reboot.

Comment

Why didn't you read my previous reply? Is the POP3 service enabled and started? If it is, and if there are not FW issues blocking TCP 110, then yes, you will be able to use POP3 to d/l the email messages from your inbox to your mail client, be it Outlook, Outlook Express or any other email client.

However be warned that using POP3 when working with Exchange is not a recommended scenario, mostly due to the limitations of POP3.

Also, using telnet to TCP 110 will only ensure you that POP3 is working, not if the Exchange services at large are ok or not.

There are other means of checking your connection status with Exchange. One of them is pressing CTRL and rieght-clicking the Outlook tray icon, then choosing "Connection Status".
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thank you for your additional reply.

Obviously I read your previous reply. When you said the POP3 service is disabled by default, I no longer had interest in connecting to the POP3 port of the Exchange server since it would not help me diagnose Outlook connection issues.

When I asked if there were a similar method of manually receiving a message from Exchange, I meant similar to a telnet connection to port 110 but in the same manner that Outlook receives messages from Exchange.

I appreciate the Connection Status tip. I will begin using it to diagnose connection issues.

I am still interested in other methods of checking connection status because of the possible misleading indications I am currently experiencing with Outlook, as I mentioned previously.

Comment

One method is by using a tool such as RPCCFG, or a monitoring tool such as MOM with the appropriate management pack.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Once again, thank you for your response and suggestions. I will investigate both of these tools.

Comment

Working...
              X