Setup Exchange 2003 and MX records on godaddy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup Exchange 2003 and MX records on godaddy

I have a 2003 SBS server with Exchange. The "old" setup was exchange has the store setup with the employee's email. The exchange server had a POP connector setup to pop the old ISP's service to pull email from the ISP. Every time we had a new user, I setup the exchange account, then call the ISP to setup a corresponding pop account on their server. This process took days to get the ISP to respond. Therefore we want to dump the ISP Pop setup and have our exchange server handle email directly.

We have our domain registered thru Godaddy. We were forwarding DNS to the ISP.

I have a puplic IP setup for the exchange server. I have setup godaddy to handle DNS. I entered the A record for my public IP. I deleted the default MX record on godaddy. But I do not know what to use for an MX record.

I ran the wizard for email configuration on SBS server and told it to use DNS to route to the address space and to deliver email directly from the internet. It setup the smtp connector properly.

I can send emails out from the domain. But someone sending in from an external source receives a bounce message.

DNS has propogated for 24hrs now. When I do an MXRecord lookup it is resolving to my domain.

Obviously I am doing something wrong. I have 24hrs to get this fixed before business resumes. I need some help quick.

Thanks,

Re: Setup Exchange 2003 and MX records on godaddy

1. DNS records don't propagate.

2. The settings in Exchange to route email via DNS is applicable to outgoing email, not incoming email.

3. You should create an MX record at GoDaddy that points to the A record that you set up for your Exchange server at GoDaddy. If you didn't create an A record at GoDaddy for your Exchange server then create one. Make sure to set up the A record to resolve to the public ip address that you are going to NAT to your Exchange server. Make sure your network firewall has a NAT statement and a service/port rule for the Exchange server.

Comment

1. DNS - propogate - change... sorry, wrong term. Godaddy says it takes about 2 hours for changes to take place but up to 24.

2. In godaddy user interface you can change the CNAME of "mail" so I changed it to be "mail.mydomain.com" I cannot add an A record for mail. because of the cname setting.

Comment

Delete the CNAME for mail.mydomain.com and recreate it as an A record. Then create the MX record.

Comment

I have deleted the cname, made the a record, and when I go to mxtoolbox to look up my account, mail.mydomain.com is resolving to my public IP, but under SMTP I get the following error:

Connection attempt #1 - Timeout occurred due to inactivity. [16.22 sec]

And I'm still not getting incoming email. Although the sending accounts are also not receiving bounce messages.

On the router, ports should be open. We opened them for remote web workplace in the past.

Comment

Double check your router and/or firewall that you have the correct public ip address being NAT'ed to the internal ip address of the Exchange server and that you are allowing traffic to port 25 to pass through to the Exchange server.

Comment

I do know we have that setup on the router. It was done as part of the remote web access setup and we switched routers a few months back, and that was set then. Port 25 is open. and the Public IP is set to point to the internal IP - otherwise RWA wouldn't work for us.

Comment

additionally, I just tried using my browser to connect to mail.mydomain.com and it is taking me to the login page for my Remote Web Workplace.

My exchange server is also my SBS server so it is also the Remote Web Workplace server. The public IP I have is the same for both.

Is there a problem with that setup?

Comment

No, there's no problem with that. You access OWA (Outlook Web Access) via RWW. That's perfectly normal in SBS.

SMTP (port 25) should be allowed inbound on your firewall to your server, do you have that set up?

Comment

yes it is. If I do a netstat -na it is open

I cannot telnet from outside the network as I believe my network admin has telnet disabled on the router. I can't get ahold of him tonight to verify.

But I do know port 25 was one we made sure was open when we configured the new router.

Comment

I'm assuming you're running netstat on the Exchange server itself. That will confirm that the server is listening on port 25 but it doesn't confirm that external hosts (email servers) can connect to port 25 on your server.

Your admin might have Telnet disabled on the router but that only means that you can not establish a telnet session to the Telnet server on the router. Telnet as a client application is used to make a connection to any port on the server that the server is listening on. Telnet is very widely used to connect to an email server on port 25 to test and verify that the server is listening on port 25 for incoming connections.

Try to telnet to port 25 on the server from itself, then try to telnet to port 25 on the server from a host on the same network, then finally try to telnet to port 25 on the server from an external host. The results of those tests will give you an idea as to where the problem is.

Comment

From exchange server - I can telnet to port 25
                        From another server on the Lan - I can telnet to port 25
                        From a system outside the network, I cannot telnet to port 25 using either the mail.mydomain.com or IP.

Comment

Ok, so that means that the server is OK. The problem has to be on the firewall or router. You'll need to make sure that you've got a firewall and/or router rule that allows inbound SMTP (port 25) traffic to the server.

Comment

Have you tried the Microsoft testing website to see what the issues are??

https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com

Reading the thread though it would appear that your issues is with your firewall, as Joe has stated.

Do you have access to your router to check??

I'm presuming that your port forwarding rules are setup on your router correctly?? This is of course if your using a different IP range internally.

Comment

A huge thank you to Joeqwerty for your help and guidance here! I really appreaciate the effort and attention you provided me.

Yes, it was the missing nat rule on the firewall. I was able to get ahold of my network admin to get him into the firewall and setup the rule. (I had thought we had done this when we upgraded to the new router a few months back, but I guess we only opened http and https for the RWW)

Mail is now flowing.

Comment

Working...
                              X