How To Verify If Email Address Is Valid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Verify If Email Address Is Valid

Is there a way to verify if a given email address is valid other than sending an email?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Re: How To Verify If Email Address Is Valid

Do you still have control of the recipient system?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Can you explain the situation a bit more
      as asked, do you have access to the Exchange organisation?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

A user complained to me that he received a return email when he tried to send an email to an internal recipient.

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: RE: <Sample Email Subject>
        Sent: 07/08/2012 11:11

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'[email protected]' on 07/08/2012 11:12
        The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.

I'm thinking of rather than me sending an email to that recipient as well, I can just perform some steps on my end to verify if the email address is still active or not?

Unfortunately I don't have access to the Exchange Server.

Thank you!

Comment

so you are working within the organisation but no access to the server?
          You could try the global address list for the user in question and see if that brings up anything.

Comment

You can use telnet to connect to the remote server, that'll tell you if the email address provided is valid before you get to the point of actually sending the email.

If this is internal it's more likely it's a bad entry in the autocomplete file (assuming the user exists in the GAL), get the user to start typing the email address and click the cross next to it to remove it from autocomplete and then re-type the whole email address.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I did try to search for that email in GAL but didn't find it.

I'll try telnet. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Why not just ask your network admin (who will have access to Exchange)?
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Also make sure the user is typing in the full address into Outlook and not just using auto complete. It could easily just be a corrupt auto complete address.

Comment

Working...
                  X