No announcement yet.

Major Exchange 2K3 failure

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Exchange 2K3 failure

hello all,

I had a catastophic failure of exchange. The priv1 file was completely corrupted and the backup taken an hour before the failure was corrupt, so was unable to go back to that.

The only other backup that had been taken was one from a week before which is OK. I also have all the log files which never got written out before the failure, so I'm hoping I can re-run the logs into the restored file.

In an effort to get everyone up and running, I restored as a dial tone Db and had everyones outlook.ost ( running in cached mode) files restored into this dial tone, but now we have a weeks worth of mail missing but am hoping I can restore into a recovery storage group and then run the logs into it and use exmerge to get the mail up to date.

is is possible to run one log at a time? or do I need to run them all at once? also, we had two storage groups, head office and branch office. the branch system never got corrupted and that recovered OK, but the Head Office was trashed.

I've created a Storage recovery group and am restoring the backup from the week before the failure into it. It has created two sub folders, one for Branches, which I will ignore I think, and one for head office which is what I'll need to replay the logs into, but from looking at the logs (2000) of them, I think some of them are going to belong to the branch mail files so will need to seperate them out.

Any advice on this would be helpful as I'm new to Exchange admin coming from a lotus notes background. I've been reading the book on storage recovery, but I'm on a timer and was hoping to get some advice from more experienced folks who may have come across this before.

Re: Major Exchange 2K3 failure

I can feel for you, I went through a exchange disaster not to long ago and still trying to clean up and getting OAB errors but enough about me,

Sounds like you did a what MS also calls a Hard recovery
    You can view the contents of the Restore.env file by running the command Eseutil /cm

what I can also sugguest is that you run the eseutil /mh to see what logs are in what order,
    Try this on the MS website it may help