log files with dates for names are huge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• log files with dates for names are huge

dear all, I have a 2k3 exchange server, its running ok, except over the last few days I have had an issue with log files maxing out one of the drives.

these are not the log files that start e0 etc, their names are dates and they sit in a sub-dir called exchsrv.log (exchsrv is the name of our server, imaginative eh! ).

does anyone know what they are and what they are for, they were all just a few meg until the weekend, now i have 2 which are over 10gb.

I am doing backups on the server, but they are not being truncated in anyway, and I can't seem to find any reference to them. the normal log files are fine.

cheers

Re: log files with dates for names are huge

Those are the Exchange Message Tracking logs and can be safely deleted.

The only caveat is that once deleted you won't be able to use the Message Tracking tool in ESM for dates of any of the log files that were deleted.

I would also suggest that you review the message tracking retention setting for those logs on the peroperties of the Exchange server in ESM.

Comment

thank you, now i know what they are i have found a load of info on them.

thank you for the info, i have now cleared all but the last couple of months out (backed them up first).

cheers

Comment

Thas can be done automatically if you select the correct option.

Open ESM and browse to the affected server. Right Click it and select properties.

In the option Enable Message tracking make sure that it is ticked then below that put a tickin the box next to Remove log files older that (days) and select a number of days. We have all of our servers set to 30 day which should be enough.

Comment

Working...
        X