Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduled NTbackup intermittent

Hi,

Have an Exchange cluster with an intermittent NTbackup error.
    OS MS 2003 SP2
    Exchange Enterprise sp2
    IBM 345 dual processor, 4 Gbt Ram, 2.5 TerraByte diskspace in an IBM 4100 array

Have created a user Exchback on our Domain, is a member of Exchange Admins, is a local Admin on server and has rights to run as a service and run a batch job.

If I create a number of scheduled tasks to backup our exchange data, the first one will run, but any subsequent scheduled tasks just show in the scheduler as "could not start" Nothing of any sense in the log or eventvwr which helps me diagnose the problem. Anyone seen this and can point me in the right direction please.
    I can manually do backups as the user with no issues at all?

Yup, I did search first, both hear and at MS.

Rgds
    Mike

Re: Scheduled NTbackup intermittent

You're not backing up to tape are you ?

If so I've had real problems with NTbackup backing up to tape, the only way I could get the schedule to run properly is if the tape is formatted prior to the backup.

topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

MikeEdwards

First off I would not use NTBACKUP on a exchange 2003 cluster I would use NETBACKUP by Veritas.

If you can run it as the user then something is not working when you either change the tapes.
      Semms that it could be that when you change the media RSM does not poll the standalone tape drive. What you can do is a run another service to start ntbackup.

try this website it works for w2k, im pretty sure that you could use it for w2k3Try it and let me know if that works.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q267574

HTH
      gaaq

Comment

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies, We don't back up to tape, it goes to a SAN which is then replicated off site to a backup SAN. This then ends up on a tape backup later.

I did three scheduled backups last night and two worked and one failed - "Could not Start" is the message in the scheduler, but nothing in eventwvr.

I even ensured I knew how long each backup would take and ensured they were spaced apart so as not to colide with each other.

I'll look at the alternative backup software solution suggested and see if that is better. If I get to the bottom of this I'll post the answer.

Rgds
        Mike

Comment

Not sure then, what's in the TaskScheduler log ?
          * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Hello Mike

We have a simple setup with SBS2003 being backed up nightly to a back up PC and I do run NTBackup to do it without any problems.

I had similar problems to you though initially and from memory, anything but full backup did not work.

Also, by default Admin is not a member of Backup Operators and after I added Admin as a group member everything was fine. (I assume that your Schedule Tasks is run under the Admin account).

Sorry but I don't have time to go back to my research to confirm this but you could try it as it only takes a few seconds to add Admin and see what happens. Apologies on giving you false hope if it doesn't.

Another consideration (but only after you have got this going !) is to use Exmerge do back up each mailbox every night to PST files. I think that's a very useful part of my Disaster Recovery strategy as without an Exchange Server I can at least get my users back with all their sent/received mail easily. Exmerge runs well under Scheduler.

David

Comment

I've now got the backup working, seemed to fix itself, as I didn't change any group memberships

Created an AD User called exchback
              member off, Exchange Admin, backup admin, and local server admin group.
              Made sure the user also had runas a server and batch job rights.
              I'm now getting two backups perday of my exchange.

I do like the idea of using exmerge to create pst's, but we run everyone in cached mode, so they have a pst local on their PC which is what we used when the server crashed the other week.

next task is to fully test a restore to a recovery storage group, because a backup is no good if it won't work. I'll report on that once i've done it.

Rgds
              Mike

Comment

Same issue. Not sure why but they worked after I disabled the Task then re-enabled it.

Comment

Working...
                X