Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003: Simplest means of migrating an independent office's users and mailbox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003: Simplest means of migrating an independent office's users and mailbox

I am currently working at a large company that wants to migrate the email infrastructure from a small semi independent office on to their group servers. I have been asked to go the site for a couple of days to gather salient information and start putting together a plan to move their mailboxes and domains in to the main office. At present I don’t have a great deal of information available, but I believe they (like us) have a Windows 2003 / Exchange 2003 domain.

I was thinking that I would document the following:
    Email domains (the regional office is authoritative currently for domains separate from us)
    Third party utilities that integrate with messaging (if any)
    Names\IPs of exchange servers
    Total mailboxes (number)
    Total disk space required
    Public folders – number/how active they are/ the space they use
    Routing of email
    VPN informations
    MX and A records associated with their domains
    Is there anything else I should collect information upon while I am at this office next week?

With regards to how this can be actually done, a common and relatively safe procedure seems to use two Exmerges to a portable hard drive for the mailboxes and ADMT for the accounts. The first one would back up all the data and be transported to the server room HQ, where they would be exported to new mailboxes. A second exmerge import/ export would happen just before the new mailboxes go live to sync the data that has come in to the independent office’s servers since the first Exmerge took place. Is there a step by step guide anywhere for the exmerge / ADMT migration for Exchange 2003? I have seen people answering posts on forums about this, but nothing I feel is particularly definitive.

Sorry that this is somewhat vague, but I have not done this before and not entirely sure of what to expect. I am going to the regional office in a few days and it would be fantastic if in particular anyone can advise if I have missed anything in terms of the salient informatin I should collect.

Re: Exchange 2003: Simplest means of migrating an independent office's users and mail

Others can help you with the server side ... for client side I've had to use a tool called Outlook Profiler to automatically update the exchange server name and set other things in the clients ...

Comment

Re: Exchange 2003: Simplest means of migrating an independent office's users and mail

Worth running the Exchange Best Practices Analyser Tool as well as you have a number of option for a scan and to collate information.

Gain an idea of message size limits as well and screenshot settings as well for your report.

What Exchange are they migrating to? When you know how many users are involved. whether data, AD object and mailbox are to be migrated and so on and other requirements, we'd then be able to better advise.

Comment

Working...
      X