Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Many if not all users email with attachments goes to Sync Issues > Server Failures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many if not all users email with attachments goes to Sync Issues > Server Failures

Hoping someone can help, I've tried everything including MS support ticket.

Ongoing issue on SBS 2003 sp2, Exchange Server 2003 sp2 where most users that have incoming email with attachments over ~120kb lose the email into their Sync Issues \ Server Failures folder.

Most emails can be recovered if the user opens the email from Server Failures, changes the subject line in anyway, saves it then can move to the inbox.

I have noticed some emails cannot be saved in this manner, usually heavy graphics commercial emails.

This happens mostly with email coming from outside the domain but can happen with internal emails too. Specifically scans from our printers.

Re: Many if not all users email with attachments goes to Sync Issues > Server Failure

Here is an example of the log in Sync Issues.
    10:49:58 Synchronizer Version 14.0.6117
    10:49:58 Synchronizing Mailbox 'Bill xxxxx'
    10:49:58 Synchronizing server changes in folder 'Inbox'
    10:49:58 Downloading from server 'SERVER1.ACME.ACMEplastics.local'
    10:50:02 The following message had an error and synchronization of it was skipped (0x80004005):
    10:50:02 "test 300kb *don't delete*"
    There are little or no events on the server.

It does register many of these events though;
    Server ActiveSync 3005 5/22/2012 11:17 AM 15 *
    Unexpected Exchange mailbox Server error: Server: [SERVER1.ACME.acmeplastics.local] User: [[email protected]] HTTP status code: [409]. Verify that the Exchange mailbox Server is working correctly.

Comment

Re: Many if not all users email with attachments goes to Sync Issues > Server Failure

When running scanost against a users Server Failures folder I get these messages in the logs;

The message with the subject 'example' exists in your mailbox on the Microsoft Exchange Server but not in your offline folder file

Comment

Do you have alot of sharing of mailboxes between users? IE Sue and Bill.
        Sue can see her own email but also has Bill shared as a second mailbox?
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
          Do you have alot of sharing of mailboxes between users? IE Sue and Bill.
          Sue can see her own email but also has Bill shared as a second mailbox?
          Thanks Lior, Not to many setup that way in Outlook, maybe one or two. Many more have rights to others mailbox, calendar etc.. but are not permanently setup in Outlook.

Comment

Can you run a few test scenarios.
            What does OWA look like when outlook is closed, does the email stay in the inbox?
            How about when not using cached mode for outlook?
            "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Lior,
              When running OWA the email shows and opens and this warning shows in the top of the email.
              Attachments can contain viruses that may harm your computer. Attachments may not display correctly.
              And the attachment can't be opened. This error shows.
              The website cannot display the page

HTTP 500
              Most likely causes:

* The website is under maintenance.
              * The website has a programming error.

What you can try:

Refresh the page.Refresh the page.

Go back to the previous page.Go back to the previous page.

More information<ID id="moreInformation">More information</ID>

This error (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error) means that the website you are visiting had a server problem which prevented the webpage from displaying.
              For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.
              When running Outlook in non-cached mode the old Sync Issues \ Server Failures items are still there. The new test mail is in the inbox, can be opened but the attachment cannot be opened. Just like in OWA. The error is "The operation failed". Something I notice is the attachment show 146KB larger than the original I had sent.

Comment

Re: Many if not all users email with attachments goes to Sync Issues &gt; Server Failure

Did you move your exchange databases from the default location perhaps to another disk?

Comment

Re: Many if not all users email with attachments goes to Sync Issues &gt; Server Failure

The stores are on a virtual folder from another partition. Its been like that for years though. Well before this issue cropped up.

Comment

hmmm, the reason I ask is
                    Do not delete or rename the old MDBdata folder path after you move the Exchange database. Removing or deleting the old folder will, in some cases, cause attachment problems
                    from here more info here

But that does not seem relevant in your case........
                    This one has me stumped.

When did this start? is there any AV scanning of attachments perhaps?

Comment

Thanks Lior_S, its good to have some new things to look into.

I looked at the two links you provided. The old default path is still there. And the registry still pointed to it in the Working Directory key. I changed it to my current Exchange database path. I'll do some testing.

thanks again.

Chuck
                      Last edited by CommIT; 23rd May 2012, 20:43.

Comment

Test fail (no change). but it reminded me of a strange behavior I thought I would share. If you forward the email to the (in this case to the same sender) it forwards and is fully functional. The original attachment that had bloated from 325kb to 438kb reverts back to 325kb. AND the original unopenable attachment in the original test email reverts back in size too and is openable. Weird huh?

Comment

Working...
                        X