Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSL over SMTP using port 465 doesn't work

Hi all,

I have a 2003 server here that my users want using SSL over port 465. They also want to keep the regular port 25 working. What I did was create another SMTP Virtual server that points to port 465. When trying to send mail via OE I get a 0x800CCC0F error. I made sure I had SSL checked and authentication checked in the client. I have Basic auth. w/ TLS check as well as Integrated checked under the SMTP tab on the server. The firewall has 465 open so not sure what's up. Any ideas?

Re: SSL over SMTP using port 465 doesn't work

Why did you change the SSL port number?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Because some of the users still want to use the standard port 25 without SSL and I figured I needed to change it.

Comment

Please do not take offence, but with an answer like that, I think you are way out of your depth and really need to get an Exchange professional in to sort it out. Failing that, put the setting back to the way they were, do some crash couse on Exchange and then give it a go.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Offence taken...I'm not "way out of my depth". If anything you are if you didn't realize that you can't use the same port when creating more than on SMTP VS.

Comment

Originally posted by nuzzy
            Offence taken...I'm not "way out of my depth". If anything you are if you didn't realize that you can't use the same port when creating more than on SMTP VS.
            Ok, yes you are probably right. Maybe someone else can assist you. Good luck.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It's not the SSL port you need to change its the SMTP port IIRC. I'll need to check the books and get back to you though.

SMTP SSL will always use port 465 BTW.

Protocol: SMTP/SSL

Port (TCP/UDP): 465 (TCP)

Description: SMTP over SSL. TCP port 465 is reserved by common industry practice for secure SMTP communication using the SSL protocol. However, unlike IMAP4, POP3, NNTP, and HTTP, SMTP in Exchange 2000 does not use a separate port for secure communication (SSL), but rather, employs an "in-band security sub-system" called Transport Layer Security (TLS). To enable TLS to work on Exchange 2000, you must install a Computer certificate on the Exchange 2000 server.

Taken from

http://www.petri.com/ports_used_by_exchange.htm

Comment

As far as I remember (I haven't used TLS on SMTP for a while now), SMTP uses port 25 for both secure and non secure traffic.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                X