Committed files not flushing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Committed files not flushing

I have an Exchange 2003 server and I discovered today that the back has not been flushing the committed files for almost two weeks. This caused the server to crash due to no disk space on the on the store drive. I am using Veritas 9.1 and I went into the jobs and both the full and the incremental are set to flush the files. Oh and we had an out break of the SOBER.AG virus around that time. Someone in the CA office clicked the list.zip file thinking the email was really from the FBI. Go figure. Any ideas would be appreciated.....

Thanks

Re: Committed files not flushing

I guess you will need to look into why the backup software is not purging the logs.

Worse case, manually delete the logs older than say 1 week.

Comment

There is no problem manually deleting old log files if you exchange server services all start and you can mount the store. Delete the log files and then maybe enable circular logging. This way you can investigate the backup not flushing the logs problem without being worried about your hard drive filling up.

Comment

What changed 2 weeks ago ?

Was your backup software upgraded\re-installed, was exchange upgraded\repaired\updated ?

Are you still running a full online backup and not just a brick level backup ?

Cheers
        Topper.
        * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Has your backup completed successfully??

Comment

Backupexec 9.1 doesnt support Exchange 2003 SP2 or/and Windows 2003 SP1.
            You will need to upgrade this software to allow it to work.
            Also, try to use NTBACKUP to see if the commit logs working as it should.

Regards,

Yuval
            Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

frelaxx,

I agree with yuval14 use NT backup until you can upgrade the Vertias SW to the newer version or purchase NETBACKUP if you can.

I have used only NTbackup and never ran into an issue that the files were not commited.

HTH
              gaaq

Comment

Originally posted by sharper View Post
                There is no problem manually deleting old log files if you exchange server services all start and you can mount the store. Delete the log files and then maybe enable circular logging. This way you can investigate the backup not flushing the logs problem without being worried about your hard drive filling up.
                manually deleting the log files: "\\pdc\c$\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA'

I've already reconfigured the log files to store on a different drive: "\\pdc\d$\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA'

The left over log files in C:\ can I delete everything in there ?? or at least everything after the previous month??

Comment

Originally posted by frelaxx View Post
                  I have an Exchange 2003 server and I discovered today that the back has not been flushing the committed files for almost two weeks. This caused the server to crash due to no disk space on the on the store drive. I am using Veritas 9.1 and I went into the jobs and both the full and the incremental are set to flush the files. Oh and we had an out break of the SOBER.AG virus around that time. Someone in the CA office clicked the list.zip file thinking the email was really from the FBI. Go figure. Any ideas would be appreciated.....

Thanks
                  I'm having similar problems: All of this build up is caused by backup failing, even tho it finishes. I'm re-scheduling my backup to run at 9:30PM instead of 3am. 3am schedule was confusing backup on my friday backup, cause techinically it's saturday.

Comment

alexenjen

You've hijacked a 2 year old thread for what? Just to say that you have a similar problem? And then you opened a new thread?

Common.

Do this again and you'll be out of here before you can say "commit my logs"...

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                      alexenjen

You've hijacked a 2 year old thread for what? Just to say that you have a similar problem? And then you opened a new thread?

Common.

Do this again and you'll be out of here before you can say "commit my logs"...

get a life - I had something to add to the learning part and I'm also having the problem. get a grip, it's my first post - my bad

Comment

Originally posted by alexenjen View Post
                        get a life - I had something to add to the learning part and I'm also having the problem. get a grip, it's my first post - my bad
                        LMFAO - you're telling the OWNER of this site to get a life because he reprimanded you?!?! I REALLY don't fancy your chances of sticking around long... looks like you'll be needing an alternative life away from Daniel Petri's website...

*shakes head in amazement*

ROFLMFAO...

Tom
                        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by alexenjen View Post
                          Hmmmm... Ok.

BANNED for 14 days for insulting other member(s).

EDIT: And now banned for life for that friendly email you've sent me. Get a life.
                          Last edited by danielp; 13th April 2007, 21:55.
                          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                          X