No announcement yet.

Migrate from SBS 2003 to Exchange 2003 Standard.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate from SBS 2003 to Exchange 2003 Standard.

Hello Forum,

I have an SBS 2003 Server that hosts my MS Exchange mailboxes (SRV1).

I just installed a new Windows 2003 Server R2 Std with MS Exchange Std Edition as a second exchange server and want to move my mailboxes to the new server (SRV2).

My mail relay and AV/AS server relay clean emails to the SRV1

I did a test with a couple of mailboxes (mb1 and mb1), the migration was ok, but i noticed that the moved accounts stop receiving mails, and when i check, also, the mb1 and mb2 account are recreated automatically on the SRV1 Administrative group mailboxes list.

I want first to understand, how exchange will handle messages sent to mb1 and mb2 hosted on the SRV2 server.

Hope i explained correctaly my issue

Thank you

Re: Migrate from SBS 2003 to Exchange 2003 Standard.

Exchange doesn't recreate mailboxes on its own. Nor does SBS.
    How did you move the mailboxes?

If the two servers are in the same forest you should see both in ESM. Exchange will handle email delivery between the two servers as long as nothing is blocking SMTP traffic and you do NOT have a smart host set on the SMTP virtual server.

Be aware that using a separate Exchange 2003 server will break most of the wizards in SBS, so the usual method is to leave Exchange in place, create the accounts using the wizards and then move the mailboxes.

Before moving any mailboxes though you need to check mail flow and then replicate the public folders.

Basically follow my migration guide, up to, but excluding removing Exchange.

If you want to continue to use RWW then you will need to make the SBS server a frontend server. That is easily done, once all mailboxes have been moved, simply enable the option in ESM.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: Migrate from SBS 2003 to Exchange 2003 Standard.

Thank you Sembee,

What i did is:

- Install my new Windows 2003 Std Server
      - Join it to the domain
      - Install my MS Exchange 2003 Server on the new server

After that, i was able to see the 2 servers on the ESM console.

- I followed steps to migrate mailboxes using an tutorials

- I used the option 'Exchange tasks >> move mailbox' to move mailboxes to the new server.

Actually i did a rollback, i'll try again with the guide you sent me and will let you know.

Thank you