seperation of two companies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seperation of two companies

We had two companies each had their domain their exchange 2003 server all under the one subnet. One of the companies seperated and copied all their exchange mailbox outside our domain/subnet and their email in/out working fine. However the server with their domain /exchange still running here and we can't send them emails any more as it's trying to go through our server to send and that doesn't work anymore as their DNS records moved. I have tried to stop their exchange server services but that still didn't help all the emails are being bounced back undeliverable. Any ideas of how to stop the email going internally to the other company rather than externally?

Re: seperation of two companies

Make sure the "other" company is not an accepted domain in your exchange.
    If it isn't, check for connectors specifying an internal IP address and check your DNS for old records for them.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Their server is still up and running at our site and I don't wont to shut it down I need to use it for other services. Their domain is still on our domain list but I don't wont to remove things incase I cause more issues. I can probably remove the domain from the DNS list totaly, will that fix it? can you please give me more details re what you mentioned. Thanks

Comment

No changing DNS records only will not fix your problem, you have to configure the SMTP domain appropriate.

If you don't want to remove the domain entry you have to set it at least as a relay domain and probably configure a direct connector to their new installation.

Comment

"If you don't want to remove the domain entry you have to set it at least as a relay domain and probably configure a direct connector to their new installation. "

Can you please explain how to do that as it sounds better than removing entries from DNS and Exchange

Comment

If you look ate the recipient policy where the domain is configured you can edit that domain.

There you will see a check box with "This Exchange organization is responsible ...", uncheck this and relaying to that domain will be possible.

Create a SMTP connector with that SMTP domain in the Address Space tab and set the delivery to their Exchange server (IP address or FQDN if DNS is working).

Comment

Am I right in saying that you no longer want any emails to flow through to them or you do? Do they have a different SMTP namespace to yours or do they need to be using the same? If you can summarise what you are trying to achieve.

Comment

yes I don't need any emails to go through our system because the two companies operate independently but we need to send emails to them and everything bounce back currently because it's trying to get their internally and this doesn't work as all the DNS records changed with the domain registrants

Comment

I see. So there will not be the ability to ever send internally now? There won't be any VPN or internal routes? It has to be via MX records?

Comment

Yes exactly. It's totaly separate company now but as business go on we need to communicate with them through email. So Idealy I should be able to remove their domain and exchange entries but I don't want to mess up anything on our side by doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                      Make sure the "other" company is not an accepted domain in your exchange.
                      If it isn't, check for connectors specifying an internal IP address and check your DNS for old records for them.
                      Ok. So you have no doubt redirected MX records for their SMTP domain to their External IP now and gone through the process of transferring the management and hosting of their External DNS to their domain.

If you carry out Ossian's recommendations and ensure that no internal DNS zones exist with their External Domain name etc. Effectively, if split DNS was setup at one time for their domain, it now needs removing as you will no use external IPs to connect to them rather than internal IPs.

Comment

Working...
                      X