ActiveSync OMA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ActiveSync OMA

Is Active Sync and OMA the exact same thing...just with two differnet names or are they two different options to take advantage of?

Thanks,
    RC

Re: ActiveSync OMA

No, two separate options
    ActiveSync uses client software on your mobile device while OMA works in a browser, more or less as text only to minimise bandwidth
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Oh ok...good info.

So that would mean that ActiceSync would be another way for my e-mail to get to my Blackberry instead of using the setup wizard and using the Exchange OWA setup that they offer.

Would that be an accurate thought?

Thanks again,
      RC

Comment

For anything except Blackberry, yes, but as you probably know, they are a law unto themselves!

IIRC you can link your Exchange OWA to the Blackberry via your phone provider (the preferred option is a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) but that is definitely a corporate solution!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

indeed. I have noticed that in the last few months I have had a ton of new Apple phone users coming in asking for e-mail settings and one fella showed me a button on his phone in the setup area that said Exchange Active Synch and that is what started me on the search about that and OMA, et cetera.

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          For anything except Blackberry, yes, but as you probably know, they are a law unto themselves!

IIRC you can link your Exchange OWA to the Blackberry via your phone provider (the preferred option is a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) but that is definitely a corporate solution!

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post

IIRC that's BIS (Blackberry Internet Services), but some networks (at least here in the UK) don't allow full OTA syncing. We have a customer on O2 and they get email only and have to use the desktop manager to sync calendar and contacts.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
            X