No announcement yet.

Global Address List not updating

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Address List not updating

Hi all,

We currently run Exchange 2003. At the moment we have an issue with the Global Address List. We have created some distribution groups in Active Directory containing some users but as time goes on the users change. The problem is that although we are updating the groups when we go to send from Outlook 2007 the groups are still the same as when they were first created and have not been updated with new users. Is there a way to remedy this without the need to recreate the groups?

I have also enabled the OAL Generator diagnostic logging. I rebuilt the Default Offline Address List and downloaded the updated address book in outlook however there are still no updates. I checked the event viewer but there are not errors reported from the OAL generator, in fact according to the events it had rebuilt it successfully.

Thanks all in advance.

Re: Global Address List not updating

At first you have to qualify if you have a problem with the OAB or with your global catalog servers.

Try sending to this groups using OWA or disable the OAB download at the Outlook clients and delete the *.oab files.
    If this is working then the OAB might have problems - generating or updating to the clients.

For Exchange 2003 there is also tools like oabinteg and oabvalidate.

This tools can be used if you have problems with your OAB.

Do they appear for the OWA Client?

Are your Outlook client's using cached mode? If they are, remove cached mode for one and see if it then appears.

The OAB generates on a schedule and can take a few days to appear for Outlook clients using cache mode.

Thank you both for the reply.

I I tried looking for the groups from the owa but they are not updated, same as the outlook. I tried the OABInteg tool to see if there are any problems and I got this:

Failure: ADsOpenObject
        ADSI Error: hr = 0x8007203a - LDAP_SERVER_DOWN - ERROR_DS_SERVER_DOWN: Cannot contact the LDAP server.
        Function: HrGetRootDSEData
        Line number: 177
        Unable to obtain the configuration container.

Any idea how I can fix this please?

Thanks in advance.

that suggests either a problem with your dc, or the way you are running the oabverif.

run dcdiag.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Thanks for the reply.

I tried running DCDIAG on the 3 DC's and 2 of them got the following error :

Starting test: frsevent
            There are warning or error events within the last 24 hours after the

SYSVOL has been shared. Failing SYSVOL replication problems may cause

Group Policy problems.

Would this affect the OAB?

No not in the first place, but it indicates that you might have some problems with your domain controllers at least with the file replication.

Now you should identify if and which problems you have with your DCs, fix them and look then for the Exchange related problems.

I managed to solve the issues regarding the replications. It was an NTfrs issue. However now I re-ran the test of the OABInteg but still the same result with the same error.

What I am noticing is that it is that when doing this test it is trying to connect with itself for the global catalog. Is that correct? Does the exchange server need to be a GC server? And where do I find out which servers are GC?

Thanks in advance.

If Exchange is installed on a domain controller then it MUST be a global catalog. If it is not installed on a DC then it will use another GC/DC for that information.

Simon Butler
                  Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
                  Exchange Resources List:
                  In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.