Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mx records

Hi all,

We are managing our own exchange server 2003. Currently we are using ISP A. We are about to change to ISP B with new public ip.

Before the migration, i just need to do some step just to make things clear.

I check my mx record, and it is in the form of 'mail.mydomain.com.my'.
    The question is, how i am going to change the mx record to reflect the new public ip?

Re: Mx records

You don't change the MX record. The MX record points to a host record (A record). You need to change the host record to point to the new ip address.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

I check my domain under the foward lookup zone, it shows

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      mail Mail Exchanger(MX) [11] mail.mydomain.com.my
      mail Host (A) 192.168.100.250
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We only have 1 mx record.
      So I'm confuse, the A record point to the internal ip, not the public ip?

Comment

You need to look at your PUBLIC DNS records, not your internal ones
        In most domains, there is no need to create internal MX records
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If your internal DNS domain is different to your external, you will also need to setup split DNS internally to ensure that users on the internal network connecting to the internal servers for OWA etc do not use the the external IP to do so but the internal one of the Exchange server.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            You need to look at your PUBLIC DNS records, not your internal ones
            In most domains, there is no need to create internal MX records
            From my own experience when I added new domains to my Exchange, you contact your domain name holder company or log on to your DNS record management console and change the MX record for your domain name.
            The usual time it takes for the change to sync around the globe DNS servers is 24h, but for us it was in few hours.

So as Ossian said, conntact the public domain name holder and ask for MX record IP change.

Comment

Thank you all,

So back to the question. do i need to change my mx record?

The firewall things i know what to do ( change the new public ip, policy).
              I'm worried about the Exchange setting, what should i do for the transition.

I know that :
              old ISP dns : 1.1.1.1
              new ISP dns : 2.2.2.2

Should I change the fowarder also?
              Because now it pointing to the old dns

Comment

Has your public IP changed?
                If so, you will need to change your DNS records

Your old ISP may allow public DNS access, if so you will not need to change DNS forwarders, however the new ISP may offer better performance. Alternatively there are 3rd parties such as OpenDNS who offer public DNS servers
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X