Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Relaying Not Working

Hi all,

I have an Exchange 2003 Enterprise server and we use this server to relay emails sent from our internal app. Recently the mails show as being sent from the app but never arrive.

I tested it by telnetting onto the server and sending a message this way. I sent both to internal and external addresses and each time the process appeared to work with the message 'Queued Mail For Delivery'. I even telnetted from the the exchange server itself but the emails never arrive.

If I send emails out normally from outlook they work with no problems.

My relay settings allow all my internal ip addresses, 'only the list below' is selected along with 'allow all computers which successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list above'.

We have our external emails routed through messagelabs and I turned this off (selected the 'Use DNS to route to each addresses space on this connector') and this made no difference. However I didn't stop/start any services so unsure whether this would take effect immediately.

I have also rebooted the server (worth a go) but still the problem remains.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Jim

Re: Exchange Relaying Not Working

from the exchange server, can you telnet to port 25 on an external mail server anywhere?
    (pick your mesage labs server as an example)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Sorry unsure what you are trying to say.

The problem I have is that my email server is not relaying messages sent from an internal app when it used to and I used telnet to test and this also appears to not work (says that email is queued to send but never does).

I have removed the messagelabs entry and rebooted now yet the problem still remains.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Cheers

Jim

Comment

A couple of things:

1. If the message is queued for delivery then that means that Exchange accepted the message and will now attempt to deliver the message. This confirms that message flow from the App server to Exchange is working correctly.

2. Assuming that you have SMTP logging configured on the Exchange server, send a test email from the App server and look at the SMTP log on the Exchange server to make sure that it does in fact accept the message from the App server.

3. Use the Message Tracking Center in the Exchange System Manager to search for the test message from the App server to find out what the message disposition is (queued, delivered, etc).

4. Use the Queue viewer in the Exchange System Manager to see if the test message is in an outbound queue.

5. Use nslookup on the Exchange server to look up the MX record for the domain that you're sending the test message to to confirm that Exchange is able to find and resolve the MX record for the remote domain.

6. Telnet from the Exchange server to port 25 of the remote server and send a test message.

Each of these steps should give you valuable information in determining what's happening.

Comment

Originally posted by jim72 View Post
          Sorry unsure what you are trying to say.

The problem I have is that my email server is not relaying messages sent from an internal app when it used to and I used telnet to test and this also appears to not work (says that email is queued to send but never does).

I have removed the messagelabs entry and rebooted now yet the problem still remains.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Cheers

Jim
          basically, what I'm trying to say is, make sure outbound SMTP is not blocked at your firewall, or by your provider..

when you say "if I send normally via outlook" - do your outlook clients connect to the same Exchange server as the internal App, or is there something else in your environment?

Just the one Ex2003 server, or more than one?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X