No announcement yet.

Exchange server: 5.1.0 Unknown address error

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange server: 5.1.0 Unknown address error

I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem. We upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 (on Windows Server 2003) a couple of months ago and are running in native mode.

Some users report they intermittently get the following NDR when they try to send email or (more commonly) reply to email we sent them:

The following message to <xxxx> was undeliverable. The reason for the problem: 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 552-'Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation'

The mail box is good, no storage limits have been set. Mail to this and other accounts is being delivered without any problem. When the user tries to send the message again (even seconds later) it gets through OK.

There seems to be no reason why this happens. Any suggestions on what is causing the problem and how to resolve them gratefully received.

Re: Exchange server: 5.1.0 Unknown address error

Please review:

Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog:

Re: Exchange server: 5.1.0 Unknown address error

I am experiencing the exact same problem with intermittent delivery failures. The microsoft article provided didn't seem relevant to this scenario, and I haven't found much other helpful information.

Alison, did you figure out how to resolve the problem?