Not receiving external emails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not receiving external emails

This may be a bit long (sorry !) I'm a 70+ volunteer currently struggling to configure windows server 2003/exchange server 2003 for external emails at our community centre. We can successfully send & receive emails on our local network and also send to external addresses but don't receive any incoming messages (the senders however do not receive failed delivery notification)

The server is multi-homed (we operate on a shoe string !) and our email client is Outlook 2003.
    We have a FQDN and an 'A' record and MX record at our external nameserver. The server is (temporarily) in a DMZ though I'm fairly sure the problem is not firewall related.

My specific queries are:

Should both the external FQDN address and local domain address be given in the default recipient policy and if so which should be primary ?

Using the Internet Mail wizard should I opt to use the dual-homed internet gateway topology or not ?

Should I opt to route all mail through a smart host (e.g. smtp.virgin.net) ?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer

Re: Not receiving external emails

It sounds like you've got most mailflow working correctly, and so I suspect the most likely scenario here is that you haven't opened the port in the firewall.

If you want to let me know your MX record, I'll try a connection from here.
    Otheriwse, you could try the Exchange remote connectivity analyser (ExRCA)
    It will test it all for you.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thank you very much indeed. I'll send the MX details tomorrow morning and also try the Connectivity Analyser.
      Thanks again, Fen

Comment

Hello again. The server is currently (for testing purposes only) in a DMZ, and the Windows firewall itself is no longer available now that NAT is operating, so I’m not too sure what else I can do in that direction.

The MX record for mail.ketleyparishcouncil.co.uk currently points to 82.47.14.4 (this will change when the system goes ‘live’)

In the default recipient policy there is an smtp entry for @ketleyparishcouncil.co.uk and another for @kpc.local – the latter is set as primary

The Internet Connection Wizard has set the IP address of the Default SMTP Virtual server to the address of ethernet adapter (LAN), and created an Internet SMTP Virtual Server with the IP address of the ethernet adapter (Internet)

It has also created, under the Routing Group Connectors an Internet Mail SMTP Connector with “SERVER01 Default SMTP Virtual Server” set as the local bridgehead. Forward all mail is set to "smtp.virgin.net" for the smart host. The address space has just one SMTP entry and that is address * cost 1

Hope this is sufficient information and many thanks once again for your help.

Comment

yea.. no firewall port is open yet from what i can see.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Seem to have finally got it working after a real old tussle ! I think it was mostly a firewall issue but I did end up deleting the stuff created by the Internet Mail Wizard and simply added a couple of things to the Default Virtual Server

Many thanks tehcamel for pointing me in the right direction - much appreciated

Comment

no probs mate

Comment

Working...
              X