Ex2003 Problem post Win2k8R2 install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex2003 Problem post Win2k8R2 install

We recently installed a Win 2k8R2 server into our Active Directory domain in order to ready the domain for Exchange 2010 servers to migrate to. We do not have the Ex2010 servers in place yet and have run into a problem that only appears to affect our VPN users.

When the users try to log into Outlook they are greeted with an authentication failure. Due to network architecture we have three Windows 2003 servers still running and all of them, including the Ex2003 server have been patched with KB944043 in an effort to circumvent this problem. All affected machines have also had the patch installed with very random success. Despite all that the problem persists.

There are no network connection issues between any of these machines and a domain controller at the time of the authentication failure. What's most cryptic is that if the user waits roughly five minutes authentication will magically work and they'll have access to Outlook/email for the remainder of the day.

Has anyone ever run into this and can shed light on it? We probably won't have Ex2010 up for another couple of weeks and will have to deal with this problem.

Re: Ex2003 Problem post Win2k8R2 install

Have you upgraded the AD schema, either for Exchange or Server 2008 DCs?
    If not, the issue should be nothing to do with your new server.

Can you explain "no network connection to a domain controller" as Exchange requires accessible DCs (actually GCs) to work properly
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Adding W2008 domain controllers requires you to update the schema before adding the DC into the forest so yes, schema has been updated.

No network connection issues to the domain controllers. All machines involved can ping all DCs without fail and during the authentication issues netstat results do not reveal any problem connections.

Comment

have you tried turning on Outlook debug logging.. ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

You didn't actually say the 2008 server was a DC.
          Did the exchange problems start as soon as you did the schema update / added the DC?
          Have you also done the Exchange schema updates?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Is that new server a GC? Sounds to me Directory Access may not be configured properly. You can check this from ESM. Failing that check client side from Outlook as to what directory server Outlook is connected to. You can do this by holding down ctrl, right clicking on the Outlook icon in the task-bar and selecting "Connection Status".

Comment

Yes new DC, and interestingly some clients are authenticating against a Win2k server. I am working on getting that out of the domain post haste.

Two questions that have come from your answers:
              One, how do I check how Ex2003 is configured for Directory Access?
              Two, how do I run Outlook debugging?

I'm sure I can google these two but preliminary googling for the directory access bit hasn't proven to be fruitful.

And thanks for the responses, greatly appreciated!

Comment

Got the Outlook logging thing figured out. There is nothing at all in the MAPI log file. My guess is that it never gets far enough into Outlook to toss something into the log.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfr1 View Post
                  One, how do I check how Ex2003 is configured for Directory Access?
                  not quite sure what you mean by this.. "configured for directory access"

?
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                    not quite sure what you mean by this.. "configured for directory access"

?
                    Maybe I should take a breath and be less excitable when responding.

Scurlaruntings posted:
                    Sounds to me Directory Access may not be configured properly. You can check this from ESM.
                    I am wondering how I view that in ESM? I cannot find that information and am probably looking in the wrong places. All was working fine prior to the addition of a Windows 2008 R2 domain controller.

Comment

Does this help?
                      http://forums.msexchange.org/m_18004...htm#1800451908
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Nevermind on where the Directory Access module is at. Found it.

All servers are listed properly with the exception of Configuration servers. The Win2k server is the only one there (with auto config box checked).

Edit: Thanks Ossian, I'll check that link out.

Comment

Working...
                        X