Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Folder Instance, ExchangeV1, preventing decommissioning of Exch 2003

Hello All,

I am decommissioning an Exchange 2003 server after all functionality has been moved to a 2010 server. All has been working well on the 2010 server for some time. The system will not let me post URL's yet so I will note where you can find the documents that I am using. I am following the document titled, "How to Remove the Last Legacy Exchange Server from an Organization" which is technet article number bb288905. On the 2003 server, I have used the Move All Replicas command several times to move the public folders to the new server. This has worked for all but one public folder instance named, "ExchangeV1." It has had over 4 weeks to replicate so time is not the issue.

According to Microsoft KB article 555978, the ExchangeV1 public folder does not need to replicate to the new Exchange server. However, it needs to be removed from the old server to continue the decommissioning process. I tried deleting this public folder from server2 but it errors:

"Cannot remove the selected replica(s) because a public folder must have at least one replica. Id No: c1038a26."

Several articles recommend removing this public folder instance via ADSIedit but when viewing in ADSI, it shows no instances under the public folder node so there is nothing to delete. I could delete the Public Folder node itself, "CN=Public Folder Store (serverName)," but I am concerned that I may need the public folder store present for later steps, as noted below. Could someone please advise the ramifications of removing the Public Folder node completely via ADSIedit in relation to this project? Or if you have a proven method, I am all ears. Also, please see the steps below from the same document where I will need to drag the Public Folder folder in Exchange System Manager to a new folder. I am concerned that if I delete public folder in ADSIedit, that I will not be able to perform the steps below.

The excerpt below is from the same Technet document as above, number bb288905. When I follow the below steps, the option for New>Public Folders Container is not there. Instead, the options are "Routing Groups Container" and "System Policy Container." What can I do to get this option present?

To remove the last Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000 server from an Exchange 2007 organization
    1. On your Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000 server, perform the following steps to move the public folder hierarchy from the Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000 administrative group to the Exchange 2007 administrative group:
    a. In Exchange System Manager, expand Administrative Groups, right-click Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT), select New, and then select Public Folders Container.
    b. Expand the Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000 administrative group that contains the public folder tree, expand Folders, and then drag Public Folders to Folders under the Exchange 2007 administrative group.
    Note:
    If you do not complete this step, the Exchange 2007 public folder database could fail to mount if you delete the Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000 administrative group.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Re: Public Folder Instance, ExchangeV1, preventing decommissioning of Exch 2003

The only issue I ever had with Public folders was due to AV treating the move of replicas as an attack, so disabing AV temporarily resolved the issue.

You do sometimes need to leave it a number of days (suggest a week) for replicas to fully move. It can be a slow process.

Comment

Just replicate the ExchangeV1 folder to Exchange 2010 and proceed with the decomission of the Exchange 2003 server, you can deal with that unneeded folder once fully migrated to Exchange 2010.

Regarding your second point: You have to use the Exchange 2003 ESM and the view options have to be set so that Routing groups and Administrative groups are vsible. Navigate to the Exchange 2010 administrative group and create the folder for the public folder hierarchy. Alternativly you can use ADSI edit as well.

Comment

Thanks very much to you both. I have responses underneath your comments below:

"Just replicate the ExchangeV1 folder to Exchange 2010 and proceed with the decomission of the Exchange 2003 server, you can deal with that unneeded folder once fully migrated to Exchange 2010."
        >>>> To cleanly decommission the 2003 server, you need to "move all replicas" off it. You must have the "Public Folder Instances" folder empty before Public Folders can be deleted. The ExchangeV1 instance cannot be removed from Public Folder Instances b/c it can't replicate to the 2010 server. The second document I referenced from Microsoft notes that, "During transactions from Exchange 2000/2003 to Exchange 2007, exchangeV1 Public Folder may not replicate to a new Exchange 2007 Server. You donít need to relocate this public folder to the new Exchange 2007 Server." So it appears that this is a known issue. When I viewed Public Folders in ADSIedit, the ExchangeV1 instance is not there. The only option I have to is delete the entire Public Folders node. However, I am concerned that this will cause an issue later when I need to complete further steps in ESM related to moving Public Folders. Does anyone have any experience with this process enough to know if that will be an issue?

"You do sometimes need to leave it a number of days (suggest a week) for replicas to fully move. It can be a slow process."
        >>>> I ran the move all replicas several times and then left it for 4 weeks. It is only about 300KB.

Thanks again.

Comment

You can't see public folder instances using ADSI edit except those which are mail-activated, but this object isn't the public folder it's just the mail-activated object sitting in the domains Microsoft Exchange System Objects container.
          The public folder obejct itself is sitting as part of the hierachry within the public folder database.

Ok, so your problem is the ExchangeV1 folder isn't replicating to Exchange 2010 and you are not able to delete the folder using Exchange 2003 tools, right?

Have you tried just to delete the public folder (not the replica instance) using either 2003 ESM or 2010 PF Management Console?

The resolution in the article you mentioned states "You donít need to relocate this public folder to the new Exchange 2007 Server.", this means you have to get rid of this folder else you would not be able to decomission your Exchange 2003 server using the normal way.

Comment

Thank you, FishFra. I was able to remove the ExchangeV1 public folder from the 2010 side. Good suggestion.

For the public folder creation, on second I look, there was a folder titled, "Folders" already present. Because it was already present, there was not option to create a new public folders folder.

Comment

Working...
            X