Relocation of drive M in mx2000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocation of drive M in mx2000

hi all , im a new sa in a company working with sbs2000 , mx 2000 and isa 2000.

the former sa located installed exchange on the same drive as the sbs2000 and this drive run out of space...
    he installed all the server application on a 8gig drive, and after the server+isa+exhange+antivirus im living on the edge of barly 1gig free...
    i dont think its smart to work that way so the only thing i can relocate from this hardriver without reinstalling all the server again is to relocate drive M:\ (mail box storage) from c:\programfiles\exchange\ to drive d: witch i have 10gig free space there.

the question is if it possible to relocate drive M:\ and all the mailbox storage without damaging the mail database and all of the user mail, if it is possible, any good guide or your help would be welcome, tried to search google, couldnt find anything really helpfull..

i found this on petri : http://www.petri.com/move_exchange_s...erent_disk.htm
    but its just the log file not all the heavy gig database.

thanks ahead
    rAVx

Re: Relocation of drive M in mx2000

wow... didnt see , at the end of changing the log file location there is the database changing, the only question now is if it safe, and if you recommend it or should i stay with barly 1 gig free on the dc/exhange/isa server.

thanks

Comment

Do NOT touch the M drive!!!!!!!!!!

You've been warned!!!!!!!

To move the log files you need to make plans for downtime, and do it from the Storage Group properties page (General tab).

To move the stores you need to plan for a longer downtime and do it from the Store properties page (Database tab).
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
        Do NOT touch the M drive!!!!!!!!!!

You've been warned!!!!!!!

To move the log files you need to make plans for downtime, and do it from the Storage Group properties page (General tab).

To move the stores you need to plan for a longer downtime and do it from the Store properties page (Database tab).
        Danielp is entirely correct, changing the M: drive letter is asking for trouble. That being said, I have had to do this for a client who is using E2k in an old Novel enviroment and uses the M: for other auto mappings and for business logic reason couldn't be changed. I followed a KB article similar to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305145/#kb2 in order to change my M: to O: and other than some headaches getting it done the first time as now they have 2 E2k server and one E2K3. NOTICE!! this is not the article that I followed, that is archived somewhere at home, but it is possible.

Don't do it if you don't have to, good luck if you try.

Thanks

CW
        "This comment is composed of 100% recycled spam"

Comment

Working...
        X