Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defrag & moving exchange store

Hi there,

I need to run an offline defrag of one of our Exchange stores. I work at a school, and are regularly creating and deleting mailboxes, and our store has grown enormous!! We are running Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise.

I know how to carry out a defrag, and I also know how to move the edb & stm files.

The edb and stm files currently reside in separate partitions on the exchange server. There is not enough space on the servers to successfully run an offline defrag (due to the 110% space requirement). So I attached an external USB HDD to the exchange server, and attempted to move the edb & stm files to this drive. The files are huge (110GB - EDB & 50GB - STM). However it's now been 24 hours since I attempted to move both files, and although the status bar shows 100%, it still hasn't completed.

What should I do? Should I force the process to terminate? I have checked in ADSI that the file paths haven't yet been altered.

My other question is as follows. Whilst the store is offline, is it possible to copy the EDB & STM files to another PC/server (which has exchange tools installed), run a defrag (eseutil /d) on the files, and then move them back to the server, and restart the store? Will that work?

Thanks in advance! Oh, and it's quite urgent

Re: Defrag & moving exchange store

Since you have enterprise edition, the normal recommendation is to create a new (empty) database and move mailboxes so you can delete the fragmented one.

I would be very careful about stopping the move in mid process, unless you are well backed up and can recover if the db gets destroyed.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I just noticed this article, which kind of answers my second question:

kb244525

You might need to run Eseutil against a database on a computer that does not have Microsoft Exchange Server installed on it. This situation normally occurs when there is not enough free space on the Exchange server to complete tasks such as an offline defragmentation of an Exchange Server database file.

In these limited scenarios, the required Exchange binaries can be copied over to a non-Exchange server temporarily. Or, the required Exchange binaries can be run from a network share.

Exchange Server 2003
      • Create a new folder on the computer that does not have Exchange Server 2003 installed.
      • Copy the Eseutil.exe, Ese.dll, Jcb.dll, Exosal.dll, and Exchmem.dll files from the Exchange Server 2003 computer's Drive:\Exchsrvr\Bin folder to the new folder that you created.
      • At a command prompt, change directory to the new folder.
      • Run the eseutil command from this folder against any databases that were copied from the Exchange Server 2003 computer.

However I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm that they've carried this out successfully....and what I should do with regards to the hanging Exchange server.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Since you have enterprise edition, the normal recommendation is to create a new (empty) database and move mailboxes so you can delete the fragmented one.

I would be very careful about stopping the move in mid process, unless you are well backed up and can recover if the db gets destroyed.
        Thanks for the advice!

In terms of the current move, it's been going on for 24 hours now, and the status bar has been showing "100%" for 22 hours or so. I had changed the location of both edb & stm files, so it would be moving both.

You recommend me waiting, but at what point should I give up? 48 hours? I can't see that it should be taking this long - and I no way of seeing if it's actually still doing anything? I could see the edb file appear in the new location immediately (although it's still in the old location as well), but no sign of the stm file yet.

Comment

Have you seen this:
          http://www.experts-exchange.com/Soft..._23672278.html

(go via if you cannot see the answers)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes I have seen this thread, but it doesn't really answer the problem in terms of what I should do now regarding my hanging exchange server. They mention experiencing something similar, but there's no mention of whether it fixed itself or not.

Comment

What did you do in the end? and what happened?
              Curious, as knowing my luck this is BOUND to happen to me...

Comment

Working...
              X