No announcement yet.

Remove Legacy Exchange objects from AD

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove Legacy Exchange objects from AD

I have a client with a situation involving removal of Exchange 2003 after a successful migration to Exchange 2010.

Everything is working just fine in Exchange 2010. Public Folders, address books, mail flow - everything. There are no dependencies between Ex2010 and Ex2003.

However, when the client was attempting to remove Exchange 2003 from the environment, some issues were encountered. The routing group connector and private stores were removed first, and then the public stores could not be removed... So long story short - the Ex2003 hardware has all been removed from the network, but Active Directory obviously still 'knows' about the legacy environment.

So I was contacted and asked how we can go about cleaning up AD to get rid of the Ex2003 references via ADSIEdit.

Can we remove the Ex2003 administrative group via ADSI? The sites have Outlook 2003 clients in the environment, and client access is working through Ex2010 - so no concerns about PF access remain.

Thoughts? (Thank you in advance)

Re: Remove Legacy Exchange objects from AD

It's best practise the let the old adminitsrative group untouched because all old users still have the legacyExchangeDN attribute pointing to this AG.

The most things within this old AG can be deleted by using ADSI edit though.

Re: Remove Legacy Exchange objects from AD

If you can get the Exchange 2003 management tools installed somewhere then you can remove the server simply by right clicking on it (Waiting) and then choosing Delete. That will remove most references to the server from the domain cleanly.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.