Exchange 2003 receiving email problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 receiving email problem

Hi guys, I hope you can help me out with this problem, this is what happened:

I installed and configured our exchange 2003 around 3 or 4 years ago, everything was working fine, smtp is properly configured, connectors, reverse dns, etc.. it was working without any problems until today @ about 5:00 pm, my boss reported me (I'm not longer in charge of the network equipment but the IT guy wasn't in the office) that the exchange "was down", so I checked out and I noticed that the E: partition (Exchange) had 0 bytes left, so obviously the problems was the log files (around 10k files @ 5MB each) . I searched and founded out that I needed to turn on the cyclic log file option, so I followed up the instructions, and turned on the option, restarted the Info Store and proceded to move the files to another drive, after it was done I restarted the server and made a test sending an outgoing mail to my gmail account, that worked great, so I sent (not reply, a new message) to my account and I didn't receive anything. I waited for some 15 minutes and nothing, I sent another email to gmail and again, I got it, did a reply to my message and I got it, so I created a new email from gmail and I didn't receive anything.

I checked the Event Log, the Application section has all the Exchange events without a problem, well just one warning about the memory settings, but no errors, on the System section I have a NTP error, a WinRm error (ID 10119 error code 1300 if i'm not mistaken) and a weird DHCP error. I read somewhere that the WinRm is needed to receive mail, so I tried to make it run without any success. Tried fixing the warning, also without success.

So, here's my problem, please help me out..

Thanks..

TL; DR;
    Got Exchange 2003 problem, can send outgoing mail, can't receive mail if is not from a reply. Please help

---
    Victor

Re: Exchange 2003 receiving email problem

Is internal mail working both ways? If so, Exchange is generally functioning.
    The symptoms (external replies working, new external mails not) suggest something external, perhaps DNS related or too many bounces of other emails getting you on a blacklist.

WinRM (remote management) shouldnt affect Exchange.

Aside, note that circular logging means you have no protection if the server dies -- a recovery from backup will not pick up emails after the backup. You should investigate why exchange backups were not working (if they had, the log files would have been truncated) and re-enable normal logging.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian... Internal mail is working both ways,
      the server was functioning without a problem before the logs incident,
      yesterday I left the office (I wrote the post from my house) and today I got
      one email, 4 in junk mail, BUT the emails I sent to my internal account from gmail are not in my inbox. I tested from hotmail and I'm receiving mail from them without a problem...

As I told you, the email was properly functioning no DNS problems, no blacklists (we fix the bounce issue)

On the backup issue.. the servers are not my responsability anymore, I just got caught on the problem because the idiot in charge of the equipment wasn't in the office, so I returned the loging back to normal and if he doesn't make any backups, his fault not mine (I'm out of this office in 1 week hehe)

I don't know how to mark this issue as.. resolved or still pending..
      It worries me that mail from gmail doesn't get to my inbox.. but from hotmail it does..

Thanks..

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Is internal mail working both ways? If so, Exchange is generally functioning.
      The symptoms (external replies working, new external mails not) suggest something external, perhaps DNS related or too many bounces of other emails getting you on a blacklist.

WinRM (remote management) shouldnt affect Exchange.

Aside, note that circular logging means you have no protection if the server dies -- a recovery from backup will not pick up emails after the backup. You should investigate why exchange backups were not working (if they had, the log files would have been truncated) and re-enable normal logging.

Comment

Well, if ANYTHING is getting in, Exchange is OK -- the problem would appear to be gmail
        (better than AOL, but not much )
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X