Restore exch 2000 to my DC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore exch 2000 to my DC?

We recently had the main system drive pack-in our only DC (exchange 2000 was also installed on this...dont ask its a long story). I managed to successfully do full restore of the entire system (Veritas IDR) and the server is up and running in exactly the same config (partitions etc) as was previously. However, despite us having the 'Backup Exec Exchange Agent' for Veritas backup, it only backed up the databases (not the program files). So, it looks like I'll have to reinstall exchange before I can restore the databases. Which option is feasible:

1) Completely remove exchange from server/AD > Install exchange to new server > restore DBs.
    2) Attempt re-install on same server using '/disasterrecovery' switch > Restore DBs. Will this require me to run 'domainprep' / 'forestprep' again first?

Any help at all would be very much apppreciated. Just want to ensure that I do this in the correct order.

Thanks a lot guys

Re: Restore exch 2000 to my DC?

I'd go for option 2. You say you have all your AD in tact, don't you? In that case there should be no need to run forestprep and domainprep, as the changes these do to the AD are already present.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi Daniel,

Yeah, the entire system was restored using Veritas IDR, thus the 'system state' etc has all been restored. So, as you say, all the AD references 'should' still be there. It's just that the program files etc are missing (I had these de-selected from the backup). I'll go for option 2...though I can't, at present, verify if the Exchange object exists as I can't run Exch Sys manager...but hopefully it will be there. Also, in AD Users & Computers, I can't see any Exchange associated tabs for the users, yet 'Exchange System Objects' does appear. (see image below).

Is it wise to attempt this restore while people are still logged onto this server (for other data access) or should I wait till weekend? One last thing, I assume I'll have to re-apply SP3 using the /disasterrecovery switch?

Thanks a lot mate, appreciate your help

Craig
      ---------------

Comment

WooHoo! Exch is back up and running. Did a regular install of Exch, then reapplied SP3, fired up exchange services and finally checked everything via Sys Manager. All is well, test logged in with a couple of clients and everything seems fine. Didn't even have to restore the DBs as they resided in the same location prior to our disaster (seperate physical disk). I'll be setting up a new Exchange server in next week or so, then migrating all mailboxes across. I'll then decomission this current installation (off our DC)

cheers for all the help.

Craig

Comment

Good job Ras and thanks for letting us know the good results.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
            Good job Ras and thanks for letting us know the good results.
            Yeah no probs. Thanks a lot matey

Comment

Working...
            X