incoming smtp messages not being delivered to Exchange 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• incoming smtp messages not being delivered to Exchange 2003

I am faced w/ an interesting issue. I have a sbs2003 server, running exchange 2003. The emails are being retrieved by the exchange server from an isp. I was called in after the sbs 2003 server started crashing b/c of a lack of resources. Upon reboot, the services, including email would return until the sbs 2003 server ran out of resources. By time I had responded, they had hard reboot the machine about 5 times. After the 4th time, email no longer returned up restart. I installed additional RAM, did the registry change for RAM over 1 gig work around, and downloaded a couple troubleshooting tools for Exchange 2003.

The first was ExBPA. That produced this error:
    DNS host record appears to be missing.
    The 'Host' (A) record for server localserver.domain.local cannot be retrieved from DNS server '198.6.x.x'. This can cause message routing delays and other service failures. Verify that the DNS server is online and that the 'Host' record is present.

The second tool was MSEchange Troubleshooting Assistant which yielded:
    SMTP Instance Fuly-Qualified Domain name does not match DNS resolved server name.
    The fully-qualified domain name of SMTP virtual server 'Default SMTP Virtual Server' on server localserver does not match the DNS resolved server name. This may cause mail routing problems. SMTP virtual server:hosteddomain.com. DNS resolved server name: localserver.domain.local.
    The resolve link is here: Will be emailed or private messaged until i pass the 5 post mark.

This all worked before the crash, no settings were changed since.
    I am a bit confused as to what the FDQN should point to. I saw some similar issues concerning sbs2003 and exch2003, but none were resolved.

A good lead would be what the FQDN should point to.

Thank you for your time and contribution. I think I'll invest in some exchange training.

Re: incoming smtp messages not being delivered to Exchange 2003

what is in the event logs about exchange failing to start ?

I'd start there, rather than worrying about your MX Records, since from what you've said, it's using a Pop3connector to download mail.

More likely scenario is that the Exchange Infostore has become corrupt..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I inherited this set up 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure if its using the pop connector. How can I tell? Other than what I posted, I got no other errors pertaining to exchange except for a warning that stated imap fast connector was disabled. I'd like to peruse the Exchange Infostore angle b/c the exchange back ups started to fail around the same time. There is no documentation for the network. Everything is left for me to discover. I can't say why anything is configured how it is.

If the exchange Infostore is corrupt, would emails still be delivered locally (inside domain), and would emails sent externally still work. This is the current condition.

Thank you for such a quick response.

Comment

no - if infostore was corrupt, it wouldn't mount

if you have internal mailflow, but no external, then you'd need to look at your SMTP connectors.

if this is SBS (as I think you said ?) there's probably a wizard yo ucan run, maybe the CIECW ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I thought about running that, but it give a warning if another bridgehead and smtp connector is already configured. I can try to ignore that and move ahead. Let me copy the old configuration information and give it a try.

And yes, I am running SBS 2003 and exchange 2003.

Comment

Working...
          X