Exchange 2003 only sends using 2007 connector

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 only sends using 2007 connector

I have installed Exch 2007 into a working Exch 2003 environment with 2003 server on both. I have purchased 2008 R2 and would like to remove Exch 2007 and re-install, but if I disable the connector between the 2 servers the outgoing mail from Exch 2003 stops going.

Any suggestions, my goal is to setup Windows Server 2008 R2, then install Exch 2007, migrate off Exch 2003 and then de-comission it.

Re: Exchange 2003 only sends using 2007 connector

Do you have an outbound SMTP connector on the 2003 server? If not, the 2007 server is authoritative for all outbound email so you'll need to manually create one after deleting the RGC.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Under Connectors folder I only have Exch2003 - Exch2007. Before installing 2007 there was nothing there either.

I did have to create a "Send Connector" for the outbound mail on Exchange 2007 to flow.
      Last edited by davidbl1; 25th May 2011, 20:28.

Comment

In order to uninstall Exchange 2007 you have to remove any function you established, so the created send connector in Exchange 2007 is one of your tasks.

1. Create a new SMTP connector in Exchange 2003 for outgoing SMTP traffic
        2. Remove the send connector from Exchange 2007
        3. Remove the RGC between Exchange 2003 and 2007
        4. Remove any mailbox or public folder present on Exchange 2007
        5. Uninstall Exchange 2007

Comment

Tried to un-install 2007 Exchange, getting the following error:

Summary: 3 item(s). 2 succeeded, 1 failed.

Client Access Role Prerequisites Completed

Hub Transport Role Prerequisites Completed

Warning:
          There are 6 messages waiting in the 'dc02\Unreachable' queue. Proceeding with the removal of the server role may result in data loss.

Mailbox Role Prerequisites Failed

Error:
          Uninstall cannot continue. Database 'Public Folder Database': The public folder database specified contains folder replicas. Before deleting the public folder database, remove the folders or move the replicas to another public folder database.
          Last edited by davidbl1; 27th May 2011, 20:26.

Comment

This error message is realy clear: There are one or more replicas for public folder, so you have to remove them.

In Exchange 2007 you can check with power shell, try:

get-publicfolder "\" -recurse | get-publicfolderstatistics

get-publicfolder "\NON_IPM_Subtree" -recurse | get-publicfolderstatistics

About this messages in den undeliverable queue, I would just ignore this warning if you aven't received any complains before.

Comment

Working...
            X