Windows 2008 functional level domain with Exchange 2003 domain rename

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008 functional level domain with Exchange 2003 domain rename

I have been reading the articles regarding RENDOM (domain rename) I unfortunately have got to rename our domain to join up to our group forest. I have carried out successful tests in a VM environment of the renaming of a Windows 2008 functional level domain, however my problem comes with Exchange 2003 we have one Exchange in our organisation which obviously runs on a Windows 2003 R2 server which is not a DC.

When I use the XDR-Fixup to carry out the renaming for the Exchange part I run into problems whereby the new domain cannot be contacted.

Has anyone successfully renamed a Windows 2008 functional level domain with Exchange 2003, if so how did you do it?

Re: Windows 2008 functional level domain with Exchange 2003 domain rename

I don't really understand your request, changing a domain name does nothing to join a group forest. In order to join a forest a new domain controller have to be installed where you can choose which name should be used.

So you probably have to explain a bit more which goal should be achieved at the end.

Comment

the other thing that comes to mind is:

Is there already an exchange organisation in the forest, or is your exchange organisation the only one?

Because you can only have one exchange organisation per forest..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by FischFra View Post
        I don't really understand your request, changing a domain name does nothing to join a group forest. In order to join a forest a new domain controller have to be installed where you can choose which name should be used.

So you probably have to explain a bit more which goal should be achieved at the end.
        At the moment our domain name is example.com we've been asked by our HQ to change this to example.local as they do not want us joining into there forest with a .com.

I have successfully carried out RENDOM on testing but when running the XDR-Fixup tool on Exchange 2003 server I encounter problems whereby the domain controller cannot be seen once its rebooted.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          the other thing that comes to mind is:

Is there already an exchange organisation in the forest, or is your exchange organisation the only one?

Because you can only have one exchange organisation per forest..
          Only one Exchange 2003 server currently in our organisation.

Comment

what does HQ use for email then ? Lotus notes ?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              what does HQ use for email then ? Lotus notes ?
              Google from my understanding.

Comment

i can't quite recall off the top of my head, but there is an option within Exchange 2003 (somewhere right at the top) where by you can tell it specifically which DC to bind to

It might be worth trying to change that, even though it should technically still be the same server..
                just take a look and see ?

Comment

Originally posted by NBC View Post
                  At the moment our domain name is example.com we've been asked by our HQ to change this to example.local as they do not want us joining into there forest with a .com.
                  This still makes no sense, since there is no option to join a existing domain to another domain. This means the fact stands that in order to join to the forest of your HQ you have to create a new domain with a new name.

So your rename operation while it's intresting to do isn't needed since you have to make a migriation anyways.

Comment

Figured it out, thanks for your assistance.

Comment

so, are you going to tell us ?

Comment

Working...
                      X