No announcement yet.

Deleting old e-mails

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleting old e-mails

We are running SBS2003 and are archiving old e-mail. We purchased a archiving program (Mailstore) and have been archiving old e-mails. Before archiving we had about 7 years of old e-mails store in exchange (about 50,000). After archiving, about 30,000 were move into archive and deleted from exchange). I have verified that this has occured by looking at the message count in the First Storage Group. The problem is this: before archiving, the 1221 event showed there was 928MB of white space, after archiving it shows 1MB.

The reason for archiving was because the store group was approaching the default 18GB size. We want to reduce this. My assumption is that once e-mails are deleted and the store is compacted, the size should be reduced. Should I not see more white space instead of less.

I have checked the setting and, for test purposed, have set the store to removed deleted mail in 0 days and to disregard whether a successfull backup has occured. Still the white space remains he same, or less, no matter how many e-mails I remove.

Can anyone assist?

Re: Deleting old e-mails

You would expect the white space to increase if you have removed alot of data but online maintenance is usually always correct with what it reports in that eventID. Without knowing "how" mailstore works at a API level its nigh on impossible to say how its interacting with the store.

That said you should really have SP2 installed which has a limitation of 75GB.

Have you done an offline defrag?

If you've defragged then that will have cleared the whitespace and reduced that size of the mdb files. If not then give it a go and see if they go down.

As for SP2, that may be installed in this case as the default limit pre SP2 was 16GB. With SP2 the default is 18GB unless you follow this kb article to increase it.

If event ID 1221 is only report 1mb of white space, then an offline defrag is a waste of time, as you wouldn't get much more space than that.

The 18gb store is only the initial store size, it can go up to 75gb with a registry hack. You must already have Exchange 2003 SP2 as that is what gives you an 18gb soft limit - prior to that it was 16gb.

The physical size of the database doesn't shrink, therefore removing content will not see a change you might expect.
        Does this archiving product replace the content with a pointer or anything like that? If so, that could account for the change in white space.

Even at 900mb I would be hard pressed to justify the down time for an offline defrag.

Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
        Exchange Resources List:
        In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Thanks to all that responded. I have service pack 2 installed and realize that I can, and I have, increased the max to 75GB. This was more of a "what's going on" question. I have verified that the e-mails have been deleted since Exchange shows the exact number of e-mails at Mailstore reported as deleted are now gone, I just don't understand how, once over 30,000 e-mails were deleted the amount of white space could be the same or less. One of my objectives was to keep backup time the same. My thought was that backup time would increase, since I now have to backup the archived e-mail, but, backup time would decrease, since I could compact the Exchange mailstore and remove the white space. Instead the Exchange mailstore is the same size and I also have he archive to backup. HUM!