X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 Event ID 1159: Uncommitted Transaction Logs

Environment:
    Exchange 2003 Enterprise running on Windows 2003 Standard

Every few months, the mailbox stores on our Exchange server dismount, with a corresponding Event ID 1159 in the event viewer.

According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905801
    This issue occurs if the storage group that is related to the information store contains more than 1008 uncommitted Extensible Storage Engine (ESE) transaction log files. Each ESE storage group has a hard-coded limit of 1024 uncommitted ESE transaction log files. When the number of uncommitted ESE transaction log files in an ESE storage group reaches 1008, Exchange Server 2003 or Exchange 2000 Server starts to dismount all the information stores in the storage group. Additionally, the event ID 1159 message is logged in the Application log.
    Fixing the problem is easy -- simply go into Exchange System Manager and re-mount the stores.

However, I'd like to be a little more pro-active about dealing with this issue.

Is there any way to monitor the number of uncommitted Extensible Storage Engine (ESE) transaction log files in real time?

Thanks.
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSExchangeIS
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 1159
    Date: 4/13/2011
    Time: 11:06:35 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: EXCHANGE
    Description:
    Database error 0xfffffd9a occurred in function JTAB_BASE::EcUpdate while accessing the database "First Storage Group\X Mailbox Store".

Re: Exchange 2003 Event ID 1159: Uncommitted Transaction Logs

uhm... remounting the store isn't "fixing' the issue. It';s side-stepping it imo.

in my understanding, what it means basically, is transactions (ie, incoming, outgoing mail, items being moved or deleted) are still in teh transaction log, but haven't been committed to the live database.

There has to be away to commit those changes, I'm just not sure what it is - i haven't had to get that far into it :/

I'm sure someone will come along shortly, who can tell you exactly what disaster commands you can use
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Are you backing up your Exchange Servers and if you are what software are you using???

Typically your Backup software will flush the transaction logs and commit the transactions to the DB.

NTBackup does this for you.

We use Backup Exec 12.5 and have the exchange agent installed and that has an option to flush the logs.

Comment

Start by checking the integrity of of the database. Then use Eseutil /MH to check the "state" of the DB and if it is consistent. Likelihood it is not otherwise you wouldn't be seeing those symptoms.
        As already said though its worth investigating your backup solution as it should be committing and flushing the logs for you. Alternatively if your environment isn't too large enable circular logging and do full backups of the DB every night.

Comment

We ran into this this other day. Had our Exchange daily backup hang, causing an excessive amount of tlogs (1008 max for 2003), and thus dismounted all of our stores.

Apparently there is a hotfix that will adjust this limitation, but it looks like its only for Exchange 2K?

Comment

Working...
          X