X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 cluster Disaster Recovery on Single Node

Hi.

Current environment we have an Exchange 2003 Active/Passive cluster,
    with the databases on a disk Array. Backup on VERITAS backup Exec 10 for Exchange.

We need to have a Exchange Server running onto a single node at the DR site using the latest Backup from the Veritas Tapes.

How can we accomplish the above requirement with the available resources we have. We are not planning to replicate the cluster at DR nor any 3rd party replication solutions like doubletake etc.

The point is to have our email services running and users can use the OWA during a disaster.

Please provide me guide/steps to achieve this goal. As i have researched but couldnt find like a step-by-step guide on setting up a single node DR.

Also i came across two setup of DR:

1) Standby Cluster (can this be implemented on a single hardware)
    2) Dial-Tone Recovery

Thanks

Re: Exchange 2003 cluster Disaster Recovery on Single Node

Any experts in here, can help me on this?

Comment

No reply in 22 hours, at a weekend!
      Lousy QoS here these days -- you should ask for a refund of your membership fee

Oh, I forgot.. We don't charge any fees, and members help, in their free time, as and when we can.

If you NEED support on a particular timescale, please phone Microsoft Product Support, who will be absolutely delighted to help you 24/7. Just have a credit card handy as they do charge for the process.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Oh, totally forgot about the weekend thing...

And now its over, let the comment flow in.

Comment

Us volunteers are poorly disposed towards sarcasm that we don't dish out.

Whilst you're waiting, read the forum rules, particularly the parts about thread bumping.

Exchange 2003 Clustering ONLY works within the same subnet, so if you want clustering to a DR site you need to use a VPN bridge and a replicating software solution like Double Take. Expensive, and a bit flaky.

Check out this series of articles on Dial-Tone restore, main requirement is that the Exchange servers are in the same Administrative Group from what I can see.

I would be remiss if I didn't say that it's time to upgrade. You're 2 versions behind with Exchange and at least 5 versions behind on Backup Exec, both products you are using are past EOL. Offsite DR is a lot simpler in Exchange 2010.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I will be blunt and say that if I was asked to consult on what you have asked, I would simply sit with you and say that it wasn't possible. If you want to increase your DR capabilities you need to upgrade. With Exchange 2007 or 2010, your request would be very simple.

The justification is quite simple - cost of downtime. If there is no budget for this, then your cost of downtime/business continuity must be low. However if you have made the investment in clustering technologies then that isn't the case. Doing it with what you have is a pipe dream in my opinion. DR isn't cheap or free, but the cost of doing so is significantly less with the later versions. So much so that I have clients where I am doing live failover to a data centre, with all data for less than 50 users. On Exchange 2003 the cost wouldn't have made that a sound business decision - on 2010, it was a small percentage of the implementation budget.

Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

I do respect your comments, and exchange 2010 upgrade are in pipe dream.

But currently I need to prepare a DR from our existing setup, using the available backup to restore our exchange 2003.

And we dont have budgets for IT...

So if there is a way to restore exchange mailbox and configure a standalone machine @ DR site to make the emails running.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by wrathyimp View Post
                And we dont have budgets for IT...

So if there is a way to restore exchange mailbox and configure a standalone machine @ DR site to make the emails running.

Thanks
                not without spending money.
                since you have no budget, the answer is No.
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                X