Two Domains, one exchange server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Domains, one exchange server

We recently acquired a smaller company of 20 employees. Currently, there exchange email is being hosted by some provider. I would like to add their domain to my exchange server. So basically, I would have two domain, the current and the just aquired. How do I go about doing this?

My guess is I would add another storage group, have their mx records switched and point them toward my server. I am not sure how I would manage their accounts. Would I add another active directory site for this domain?

As far as them accessing the server, they will use a working vpn tunnel already in place.

Can some give me a few starters...i really am not sure where to begin so please ask me any questions I should consider in making a switch/merge.

Thank you.

Mark

Re: Two Domains, one exchange server

Originally posted by bmarkb
    We recently acquired a smaller company of 20 employees. Currently, there exchange email is being hosted by some provider. I would like to add their domain to my exchange server. So basically, I would have two domain, the current and the just aquired. How do I go about doing this?

My guess is I would add another storage group, have their mx records switched and point them toward my server. I am not sure how I would manage their accounts. Would I add another active directory site for this domain?

As far as them accessing the server, they will use a working vpn tunnel already in place.

Can some give me a few starters...i really am not sure where to begin so please ask me any questions I should consider in making a switch/merge.

Thank you.

Mark
    bmarkb,

Start here this will help you.

http://www.petri.com/configure_excha...er_domains.htm
    gaaq

Comment

Great...thank you. I went ahead and added a new policy. However, now I have more questions.

1. When I created a new storage group it created new folders. Based on how the previous admin setup the exchange server, the logs and databases are stored in the exchsvr\mdbdata folder. Is this the folder by default when setting up the first storage group? Should I place my new database files in here as well or can I leave them in the folder of my choice?

2. DomainA was my original and DomainB is my new additon. Now when I create a username, the account name is @domainA. So if the remote user logins in they will have to type domainA\username and password. Is there a way so they can use their own credentials from DomainB?

3. How do I setup filter rules in my new policy to only affect this storage group? It seems I cannot find this storage group in a filter.

4. How do I prevent DomainB from seeing the Global Address List for DomainA? Is it a simple create a new GAL and assign rights by domains?

Thanks,

Mark
      Last edited by bmarkb; 3rd November 2005, 02:58.

Comment

Originally posted by bmarkb
        Great...thank you. I went ahead and added a new policy. However, now I have more questions.

1. When I created a new storage group it created new folders. Based on how the previous admin setup the exchange server, the logs and databases are stored in the exchsvr\mdbdata folder. Is this the folder by default when setting up the first storage group? Should I place my new database files in here as well or can I leave them in the folder of my choice?

2. DomainA was my original and DomainB is my new additon. Now when I create a username, the account name is @domainA. So if the remote user logins in they will have to type domainA\username and password. Is there a way so they can use their own credentials from DomainB?

3. How do I setup filter rules in my new policy to only affect this storage group? It seems I cannot find this storage group in a filter.

4. How do I prevent DomainB from seeing the Global Address List for DomainA? Is it a simple create a new GAL and assign rights by domains?

Thanks,

Mark
        You've got many questions, most of which can be answered by reading the help file. I'll make it short:

1) You can and should place the new storage group in different folders. This can be easily tested by creating a new one and seeing the results.

2) Look at the user account properties in DSA.

3) Yes you can. Look at the exchange search filters available in the drop down list.

4) Permissions.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
        X