X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This database size is approaching the size limit of 75 GB

Hello,

Exchange 2003 std with SP2.

We are getting an Event ID: 9688 because the .edb and the .stm is 70GB.
    I've read that 75gb is an license limit, when reached the Mailbox Store while be dismounted. Is there a way to change the size limit of 75GB?

If not, what can we do more?

Kind regards.
    Last edited by GSXr1000; 7th April 2011, 08:56. Reason: Exchange information added

Re: This database size is approaching the size limit of 75 GB

i assume this is exchange 2003, with service packs applied.

The answer here is unfortunately, a resounding No in this case.

If you had a lower limit already, for instance, if it was saying 30GB for instance, you could increase it, but 75GB is the upper maximum. (And even that only came in after a service pack release)

I would take a look at the size of my mailstore, identify some really heavy users or large mailboxes, old mailboxes etc, that can be cleaned up.

You MAY be able to run an Offline Defragmentation, which might free up some space - you should have some other event logs which say "after online defragmentation, 8MB is free" or something like that. If this is large you would benefit in this situation.

But look for departed users first of all.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      i assume this is exchange 2003, with service packs applied.
      That's correct EX2003 with SP2

I would take a look at the size of my mailstore, identify some really heavy users or large mailboxes, old mailboxes etc, that can be cleaned up.
      Did that already

You MAY be able to run an Offline Defragmentation, which might free up some space - you should have some other event logs which say "after online defragmentation, 8MB is free" or something like that. If this is large you would benefit in this situation.
      Did that already

The only solutions I think is setting up AutoArchive or upgrade to Exchange 2007 so I can create 5 databases. Are there any other options?

Comment

nope:
        Get stuff out of the mailstore
        or upgrade

unless you have Exchange 2003 Enterprise, which should allow you to have mutiple SGs and MBD, iirc
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

An offline defrag was a waste of time anyway, as the database limit already takes in to account the amount of white space in the database. It is possible to have database files larger than 75gb and be under the 75gb limit.

If you value the email, then you will upgrade to Exchange 2007 or higher, or purchase an archiving product.

If you don't care about the email, store it in PST files. Remember to put them on a network share so that they are rendered useless even quicker. (PST files on a network share are not supported because it corrupts the file).

Simon
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Make sure your users empty their deleted items folders, or force them to via GPO. This of course assumes that they aren't idiots and aren't using that folder to store 5 years worth of joke emails from their friends. Yes, I have seen that, and sadly more than once.

Long term though, upgrade Exchange to a more recent version as the others have said.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              Make sure your users empty their deleted items folders, or force them to via GPO. This of course assumes that they aren't idiots and aren't using that folder to store 5 years worth of joke emails from their friends. Yes, I have seen that, and sadly more than once.

Long term though, upgrade Exchange to a more recent version as the others have said.
              you know what's worse ?
              I have a client who uses a hosted pop3/imap/somethingorother solution.
              They have a 2GB limit. and download the mail onto two sepazrate computers
              We constantly get cases "no incoming email"
              Because they exceed their limit.

So, I told the guy I'd help him delete everything in his deleted items folder (which was almost a gig)
              "but then they'd be deleted from the deleted items folder on the other computer too, right?"

'well. Yes.'

Long story short, he made me archive his deleted items folder.
              So now he has a PST file of all the emails they no longer needed, and felt it was appropriate to delete.

Comment

As a temporary measure while you convince your boss to upgrade, you could move the old "stuff" into the Public Folders. You have 75GB of storage available there as well.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Good day GSXr1000,

There is no way that you may increase the store size to more than 75GB in MS Exchange 2003 Standard Edition.

There are ways to work-around with this, 1. Is to unmount the IS and start offline defragmentation to make use of some white space. 2. Is to archive each mailbox in your group to minimize the size of the DB. IS will continue to unmount till it reached the retension schedule you defined on your exchange and usually after 30 days, or might as well alter it to make it quicker to effect as possible.

Defragmenting offline will take you long process and time considering the size of your DB.

Try to check for the event 1221 in your exchange to manage the size of your DB and from that point you can then schedule when to do archiving on your group.

Finally, upgrading to 2003 Entreprise might help, but best to look on 2007 and 2010 that are more flexible than legacy exchange apps. These versions of Exchange can give you from 500GB to 16TB.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
                  Norms
                  Last edited by nquimio; 1st May 2011, 14:11.

Comment

Working...
                  X