X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autoarchive Exchange database

Dear members,

I have a urgent question.
    My Exchange 2003 database has got 300MB of space left.
    For a few users I setup autoarchive, now I have moved 6GB but the free space on the disk is still 300MB.

Can somebody please help!

Kind regards.

Re: Autoarchive Exchange database

Do you mean the disk volume which your Exchange database resides on only has 300MB left?

I believe you need to run an offline defrag of the database to reduce the size of the database files, deleting content from within the database won't do this.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Do you mean the disk volume which your Exchange database resides on only has 300MB left?

yes, that's correct.

I believe you need to run an offline defrag of the database to reduce the size of the database files, deleting content from within the database won't do this.
      Offline defrag is not possible, read this:
      Offline defragmentation creates a new database by copying all records and tables from the old database into the new database. Because this is a copy, defragmentation requires free disk space equal to the size of the database (actually, you'll need 110% of free space).

I don't have this kind of free space.

When I use the Online Defrag would that make the database smaller?
      Last edited by GSXr1000; 31st March 2011, 12:27.

Comment

No, you need to do an offline defrag to reduce the file size. If the current volume doesn't have enough space to do that and you can't move things off that volume to make more space, then you'd have to look into extending the volume or temporarily moving the Exchange database to another disk.

2TB USB disks are available for peanuts now - one of those would do as a temporary measure (keep in mind the lack of fault tolerance) provided you took a reliable backup beforehand. eSata would be preferable given the extra bandwidth and doesn't add much to the cost of external disks.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          No, you need to do an offline defrag to reduce the file size. If the current volume doesn't have enough space to do that and you can't move things off that volume to make more space, then you'd have to look into extending the volume or temporarily moving the Exchange database to another disk.
          I found this on the Internet:

Run ESEUTIL with the /p switch to configure ESEUTIL to create the new defragmented database on an alternate location (for example, to a location on a different hard disk). This switch lets you preserve your original defragmented database (which lets you revert back to your original database if necessary). This switch also significantly reduces the amount of time it takes to defragment a database, because you are rebuilding to a new location, rather then rebuilding the database in place.

I will defrag the database to another location and then copy back to the default disk

Thank you for your support.

Comment

The switch /p is not for defragmenation it's the repair switch for corrupted databases. You want to use the /d switch in order to defrag.

You can run this command from another location you can even use a network share if your network speed and bandwidth isn't a issue.

Comment

Did solved my problem:

1. Connect USB drive (G:/)
              eseutil /d /p "d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb" /t"g:\Exchange\tempdfg.edb"
              3. copy tempdfg.edp (stm) to default location
              4. mounted database

Everything works fine now and the EDB and STM files are 10GB smaller.

Thank you all for your support.

Comment

Working...
              X