Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam Filtering in Exchange/Outlook

Hello Experts,

I am sure that you all receive spam. I have been able to control most of spam except for now. I am geting many emails with the same subject, but coming from different addresses. How are you guys managing to block this? I don't have a Spam software on the Exchange..... and i would like to filter spam from there so the clients don't get any

Thanks\
    Chan Weng Lou
    Mozambique

Re: Spam Filtering in Exchange/Outlook

There lots option to use tools etc.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-Spam.html

Exchnage 2003 SP2 added also a new nice tools and Outlook 2003.
    Also, I dont see real reason why not to buy antivirus + antispam engine (like Antigen/Trend for Exchange)

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Originally posted by MVP wanna be
      Hello Experts,

I am sure that you all receive spam. I have been able to control most of spam except for now. I am geting many emails with the same subject, but coming from different addresses. How are you guys managing to block this? I don't have a Spam software on the Exchange..... and i would like to filter spam from there so the clients don't get any

Thanks\
      I am anything but an expert, but here is how I would handle that situation:
      set up filtering at the client, rather than server level. I have set up rules for several users to send emails to the junk folder if they contain certain text in the body, and were not sent from anyone in the address book or contact list.

An example is one message that several users were getting that had the text "discreet, unmarked packaging" in the body. I don't see this phrase very oftern in internal company emails, or from our current or potential customer, therefore, I assume it is safe to send to the junk folder if it is not from someone the user corresponds with. You would set up a similar rule, except you would be searching the subject rather than the body of the message.

Cheers,
      Peter

Comment

Bandit,

You're right client filters do work well but when you're working with 50+ users it becomes a heculian task (read: not worth it) to setup client side filters. Also, with client filters you're accepting the email through the mail server and acknowledging that the account in fact exists (which can lead to more spam).

Many of the server side spam filters allow you to bounce messages back to the originating server that do not pass filtering. Granted many spammers do use fake header info but in my opinion bouncing it can only help.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for the info Andrew.

I have been researching various server side spam filters for Exchange and that is also a Herculean task. GFIMailEssentials looks like one of the better options so far, but I have an unexplainable preference for open source. DSPAM is a very attractive opensource option, but I can't seem to find a simple way to plug it into Exchange.

What do you use? What would you recommend?

Thanks,
          Peter

Comment

Hi,
            You can use McAfee GroupShield for Microsoft Exchange.
            It has got an anti spam plugin.
            We are using it and it is okay.
            But i cannot say whether it is the best,because
            i have not made any comparisons with other products.
            In my view,a combination of server side and client side filtering
            is good. But on the client side it is tedious to set up rules
            repeatedly and i believe there is a limit.
            Hope it helps.
            Regards,
            Spidey

Comment

Originally posted by BanditFlyer

I have been researching various server side spam filters for Exchange and that is also a Herculean task. GFIMailEssentials looks like one of the better options so far, but I have an unexplainable preference for open source. DSPAM is a very attractive opensource option, but I can't seem to find a simple way to plug it into Exchange.

Thanks,
              Peter
              My company uses GFIMailEssentials and it works quite well. IMO you can't go wrong with it.

I can understand your preference toward open source because it tends to be free. But in my experience there aren't any open source server side spam filters that integrate with Exchange as well as commmecial products. Granted commercial filters aren't always as powerful but because they integrate so well it allows you to use filtering without having to set up a dedicated machine used only for spam filtering which imo is a waste. If you happen to find an open source spam filter that works let me know because I'd love to check it out.

From what I've read about DSPAM the only way to use it with Exchange is as an appliance or front-end POP3 proxy.
              Last edited by ahinson; 11th November 2005, 08:40.
              Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by BanditFlyer

Thanks,
                Peter
                A solution that I have used in the past is using an opensource mail relay in front of exchange for spam filtering for clients who have had limited resources, then point exchange's smart host to the open source box running spam assassin and postfix or something similar.
                "This comment is composed of 100% recycled spam"

Comment

Originally posted by Sour.Craig
                  A solution that I have used in the past is using an opensource mail relay in front of exchange for spam filtering for clients who have had limited resources, then point exchange's smart host to the open source box running spam assassin and postfix or something similar.
                  Than you very much for the info. Unfortunately, I don't yet knw enough about Exchange to be able to follow your recommendations. I am learning quickly, though.

Hopefully, I'll find some tutorials on this site to help out with that. For now I am reading up as fast as I can on SpamAssasin and GFIMailEssentials.

Thanks,
                  Peter

BTW, what sources of info do you frequently use for Exchange?

Comment

Working...
                  X