random client loses connection to Exchange 2003, most work ok

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• random client loses connection to Exchange 2003, most work ok

Shortly the problem is that seemingly random client loses its connection to exchange server. Outlook show that the connection is ok (rpc diag), but the client wont receive all incoming messages. At the same time, other clients can communicate without any issues.

Server is virtualized server 2003 std R2 with E2k3 SP2.
    Clients with the problem have been so far only with WinXp SP3 with Outlook 2007 fully patched.

Problem occure only in cached mode, and both with TCP/IP and https connection.

On server, I cannot locate any event pointing to this problem.
    On the worksation I got "lost connection - Connection restored" events. If Workstation starts to suffer this problem, OWA stops working also. Basically the user can log in to OWA and view and handle most of the messages, but those messages that you cannot receive to Outlook, wont open at OWA either.
    System starts to download the message but it never finishes.

It seems that this is not user related, since I can configure the same account on another WS without a problem. On WS reinstallation seems to do no good.

So far I have had this issue with less than 10 Worksation, but the problem started with each client at a different time.

What can I say, I have tried pretty much every trick that I know with clients. One client was "fixed" by upgrading it to Win7, but that is not possible to all cases.
    On server I have tried to locate the problem with exbpa, exmon and extra but no luck so far.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and I'm more than willing to tell more.

Thanks!

Re: random client loses connection to Exchange 2003, most work ok

We recently had this problem (or at least, a similar one) with some Windows XP workstations. Everything else seemed to be OK except for Outlook. It turned out that there was a known issue with the network drivers for that model of Dell Optiplex computer.

Ensure your network drivers are up to date.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi, and thanks for reply!

I also tried that solution, but didn't help with my case.
      Most models are Fujitsu's lifebook or esprimo mobile with Marvell Yukon NIC's.

Comment

I've had pretty much the same issue,

We had desktop clients with cached mode enabled, as the Desktops never leave the office there was no reason for cached mode to be enabled. I removed the account from Outlook and re-added it with cached mode unticked, This fixed the problem straight away.

On a laptop, I had a problem with the cached mode because the offline storage folder wasn't upto date, I renamed the .OST file and recreated it.

Comment

Yep, I have tried that too. Basically I have tried every steps at the client starting from new profile ending to format/reinstall of the laptop. But no help.

I guess that the client has problem getting proper connection to the server. But why this occur only some of the computers, and if the problems appears, you cannot get rid of it on that host.

Can exchange server block host somehow?

I just cant get hold of the actual problem. Argh!

Comment

Working...
          X