Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Webmail and Additional Mailbox Access Issues when moving to a new Exchange Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webmail and Additional Mailbox Access Issues when moving to a new Exchange Server

Hi all,

I am running Exchange 2003 Std on mail1 in my domain and have installed a 2nd server (mail2) running Exchange 2003 Enterprise. I have moved all the mailboxes across, the public folders and the various services (Recipient Update, connectors, Routing Master etc). I have switched off mail1 to test and I can access emails, send and receive them. However, I have two issues which remain whether mail1 is turned off or on.

1. When I add additional Mailboxes to my account (which has moved to mail2) I can no longer open them. It comes up with the message 'unable to display folder'. If I log on as that user email works fine. If I move the additional mailbox back to mail1 I can open it. It seems to be a permissions thing as it adds the mailbox but will not open it. Any ideas where I need to look to resolve this?

2. Our OWA (set up pre-me) was accessed by using the URL https://mailgate.mydomain.co.uk/exchange/username
    Mailgate was added as an external 'A' record then (I assume) it resolved as there was an internal DNS Alias (CNAME) pointing mailgate to mail1.mydomain.co.uk

The External 'A' record has remained the same (I have changed the NAT from this IP address to point to my new mail server) and I have changed the internal CNAME record to point to mail2.mydomain.co.uk. However, OWA no longer works. I just get the error 'webpage cannot be displayed'.

Now I appreciate that this is not the safest way to to set up OWA but this is the current setup and being a bit of a OWA novice I was wondering if there is anything else I need to configure on the new mail server to get this to work?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Jim

Re: Webmail and Additional Mailbox Access Issues when moving to a new Exchange Server

In addition to point 2, the OWA address works internally using HTTP but not HTTPS. I believe this is an IIS issue and I am working on this.

However, neither HTTP not HTTPS work externally yet the mailgate 'A' record still points to the same External IP Address with the only change being that this external address is nat'd to mail1 not mail2.

Comment

Re: Webmail and Additional Mailbox Access Issues when moving to a new Exchange Server

Hi,

For OWA issue, I believe that you need to enable and setup form based authentication on mail2 in order for it work with HTTPS

For OWA not able to access from outside

Internet -----NAT (mail1)------DNS ---CNAME (mail2) ----- mail2 server

If you ping external url does it resolve

do you have a host a record tied to CNAME record mail2.mydomain.co.uk

For Additional mailbox issues.

If you create a new mailbox on the new server and then add it as an additional mailbox are you able to open it.
      I believe you need to be granted permissions on the additional mailbox in order to open it.
      From Outlook, login as the user, go to it's mailbox properties, permission tab and add yourself and grant appropriate permissions.
      The same can be done via ADUC as well.
      Last edited by v-2nas; 27th February 2011, 11:26.
      Thanks & Regards
      v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
      Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
      Independent IT Consultant and Architect
      Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Hi v-2nas,

Thanks for your response.

With regards the OWA it was setup to block HTTP externally (which makes sense). My ISP enabled http temporarily and it worked so clearly the issue is with HTTPS access not external. However, although the certificate on the old mail server had run out in 2005(!) I imported the certificate and this enable the HTTPS to work. I made no other change so clearly it needed this certificate even if it had expired.

As for the additional mailboxes the permission will not have changed as I am only moving them from one server to another but I will persevere on this one as it is not business critical.

Thanks

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X