Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Many Problems... Administrative Permissions and Distribution Groups!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Problems... Administrative Permissions and Distribution Groups!

Hey,

I'm having very strange problems here... at first i thought it was linked to a specific client machine as per my original post here: http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=53544

But as troubleshooting has gone on... it seems to be a lot worse than i thought!

Basically, a user requested for an entry in a distribution list to be edited however the change was not showing in the GAL.

I then decided to create a whole new distribution list as a test... however this new distribution list isnt showing in the GAL at all.

I've then tried to login to the domain administrator mailbox to see if the same is happening on this... however it appears it doesnt have access to authenticate with the exchange server when setting up a new mail profile (even though its a domain administrator, enterprise administrator and Full Exchange Administrator!).

There is definately something up with this Exchange Server and i just can't put my finger on it!

Re: Many Problems... Administrative Permissions and Distribution Groups!

Hi,

If you login to OWA do use entry. Try straight on Exchange server.

Any errors in application log.
    Run Exchange Bestpractice analyzer and try to fix the permission issue if found.
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

To be a member of the groups Domain Admins, Enterprise Admins or Exchange Full Admin gives you only one thing - a default access denied to mailboxes.

There are three ways to get access to a mailbox:
      1. The mailbox belongs to the user and the user have Full access permission at the Exchange side.
      2. The user is granted Full mailbox access at Exchange side by an administrator.
      3. They user have explicit set permission "receive as" at store or server level in the Exchange configuration.

Regarding your problem with updating of the address book entries: Are you using Outlook in Cached mode? If yes make sure your offline address book get generated properly. To test this out you can also configure your client to don't download the OAB and use a global catalog server instead.

Comment

Originally posted by FischFra View Post
        To be a member of the groups Domain Admins, Enterprise Admins or Exchange Full Admin gives you only one thing - a default access denied to mailboxes.

There are three ways to get access to a mailbox:
        1. The mailbox belongs to the user and the user have Full access permission at the Exchange side.
        2. The user is granted Full mailbox access at Exchange side by an administrator.
        3. They user have explicit set permission "receive as" at store or server level in the Exchange configuration.

Regarding your problem with updating of the address book entries: Are you using Outlook in Cached mode? If yes make sure your offline address book get generated properly. To test this out you can also configure your client to don't download the OAB and use a global catalog server instead.
        It looks like it is due to the Cached Exchange mode (disabling it resolved the issue), however the user requires cached exchange mode enabled.

How would i go about forcing it to use the Global Catalogue Server instead of the OAB in Outlook 2007 without entirely disabling Cached Exchange Mode?

Also, the permissions issue isnt about accessing a mailbox... it doesnt get that far. It won't even authenticate with the Exchange Server when trying to do "check name" when creating the email profile.

Thanks.
        Last edited by rsnooks; 18th February 2011, 10:30.

Comment

To disable the OAB download look at this link:
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823580/en-us

Don't forget to delete all previous downloaded OAB files at the local machines else your users will use very old data!

Regarding your logon problem while creating a profile, make sure the mailbox you want to login is visible in the address book and configure the profile to always ask for credentials.

Comment

To disable the OAB download look at this link:
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823580/en-us

Don't forget to delete all previous downloaded OAB files at the local machines else your users will use very old data!

Regarding your logon problem while creating a profile, make sure the mailbox you want to login is visible in the address book and configure the profile to always ask for credentials.
            Cheers for the link.

Mailbox is visible and is set to ask for credentials, but again it doesnt even make it that far.

Its not "failing" as such to fnid the mailbox... its just instantly asking for credentials with associated permissions to "search" exchange for the mailbox.

However the Account does have the appropriate permissions as its an Exchange, Domain and Enterprise Administrator!

Its very confusing...

Comment

Are you logged on as this user or are you trying to create a profile while logged on with another user?

Comment

Are you logged on as this user or are you trying to create a profile while logged on with another user?
                Im logged in as the user i want to create the profile for.

When clicking check name, it prompts me for credentials.

No matter what credentials i enter (Domain Admin, Standard User, Same User, Exchange Admin, Enterprise Admin), it appears to fail to authenticate because the credentials screen appears again instead of accepting the credentials and then resolving the name.

Comment

Working...
                X