X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BES & Exchange, What do I need

hello
    here's the deal.

I work for an small company. We used exchange server 2003 and would like to enable access to the blackberries in our company.

So in essence I would that like 50-60 people to get access to the corporate email in their blackberries, so i would like to know what do I need?.

I'll look to know about BESX maybe can do the trick, but overall I would like to know about the carrier?, should I need to contract an ISP, RIM or someone to enable this?.

Those blackberries should be in the same carrier or those blackberries only need internet connection?.

Thank you
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Re: BES & Exchange, What do I need

You'll need to check the hardware requirements to make sure your server is up to the job, personally I'd use a dedicated box or VM if possible for simplicity. Presumably you will be moving away from Exchange 2003 at some point.

As for the phones, talk to whoever you get them from at the moment. The big companies here (I'm UK, dunno where you are ) all do Blackberrys and there's usually a bit of room for negotiation with large orders.

You do also have the option of WinMo/Android/iPhones as Exchange 2003 natively supports ActiveSync as well.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Indeed I know the best option is to put the service in a server.

I have what I need in hardware. At some point this or next year I should migrate exchange to the latest version (2010 SP1 Right now).

I do wanna do without external companies cause the carriers here usually charge an eye and half a kidney for such service.

Just need email access on the route. Even with don't plant to give BB to users, what we are trying to accomplish is to give the services to people with have these gadgets (like everyone).

I was checking the chart of BESX and I guess its what I need.

I would create a virtual labs and test it there.

Thank you
      When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

If you are going to use BESx then you have a lot of room when it comes to the devices. You can basically use any Blackberry device on pretty much any tariff.
        BESx supports Blackberry devices on the cheaper BIS tariff. The only catch is that you need to use a USB cable to activate them. Personally I think that is a small price to pay compared to the BES tariff that allows over the air activation.

For the number of users, you definitely need a dedicated server, I wouldn't think of putting it on to the same server as Exchange.

The devices can be from any carrier, and if you have staff overseas they can get a local Blackberry and have it attached to your BESx. It doesn't matter. I have a Blackberry server I manage with users in all five continents.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Excellent Simon, Hardware wont be an issue.

I would opt for a different server even If my actual exchange server could handle it

Thank you

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Working...
          X