Switching from Exchange to cloud based email

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching from Exchange to cloud based email

Hi everyone. Back again with another hopefully simple question.

(I am sorry for being long winded here)

Here is the scoop. My company is looking to cut IT costs and do not want to upgrade Exchange 2003 to 2010. They want to go to a cloud based e-mail solution such as gmail or another comparable offering.

One half of my mgmt is under the impression that we can just simply set up forwarding from my current domain e-mail address (AD integrated), mycompany.com, which has my Exchange mail boxes. They want to forward them to myothercompany.org and then compltely remove Exchange.

While the other half of mgmt wants to upgrade. Which I am all for; honestly either way. Cause they both will work. (This is just covering the e-mail part; I will have to address the calendaring issues as soon as this get answered)

We also have a BES as well. Slowly users have been going the way of Droids and or iPhones. So the integration of gmail would be easier over all. But this is a different topic all together, but I think needs to be addressed in the scheme of things as well; thoughts?

I am having some serious concerns with this, but do not have all of the information and data to tell them "No this will not work"; or at least come up with what the correct solution is supposed to be here.

I am thinking this is the situation: If I setup forwarders to the other e-mail address and keep Exchange up and running all forwarding will continue to happen. But as soon I power down Exchange and remove it entirely, forwarding will stop and no e-mails will flow. My domain will still be intact and running, but no more messaging functionality.

Is this a correct assessment?

What is there to do the forwarding if Exchange is gone?

Re: Switching from Exchange to cloud based email

Hi,

You are correct forwarding will stop once exchange is shutdown.

What you need to do is to change mx record to new exchange server, have user's mailbox created in new env with same email address and then migrate the mailbox data into pst files and then upload it via outlook to mailbox or if they have some other way to put it directly into user's mailbox.
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Great. I am glad that I have some conformation on this.

I will have to see what email system they are going to do. I believe they really, really want gmail, but we'll see.

Now as for the BES item; it should not be to difficult, since we are already utilizing the forwarding for some testing and production users. But again, if the Exchange server was shutdown, there fore BES would not send e-mails to the devices, correct?

Comment

Yes, That's true. Currently your BES would be intergrated with Exchange where it's scanning the the active mailbox for incoming messages.
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

if you're going to switch, why not look at BPOS instead of gmail ?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

@ v-2nas. Thanks again.

@ techcamel. BPOS? That does not ring a bell.

As for gmail, well a few of the higher ups have a love affair for gmail and google apps. So there that is...

I am just trying to make sure that they have the right information before blindly buying something because they saw some review on a tech site and it said this was the end all be all. I have been trying to educate them with the thought:

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

But at the end of the day, I am just the IT guy; not the manager or in control of the budget.

Comment

For me, I wouldn't go for the forwarding option.
              Considering a few aspects, like :
              1. Your external customer might be confused which email should they reply to. So in the end they'll still need to decide which one to remove.
              2. You'll be still paying for the Exchange maintenance anyway.

Using Exchange emails from IPhone is not an issue because I'm doing that for my organization as well.

As for the forwarding, yes you need the Exchange to be up for the forwarding to work.

I'd recommend v-2nas's suggestion if you want to retain the domain name.

My 2cents.

Comment

bpos is microsoft's online solution

http://www.microsoft.com/online/busi...ductivity.aspx
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

@ tehcamel Oh okay. Yeah I seen that briefly. Thanks for the clarification. I might need to look at this one more closely.

@dctw As of right now, we have 10 users that have their emails being forwarded to iPhones and Androids. I agree with you as it does work with out a hitch.

So I have inherited, not a too bad infrastructure, but it has been patched together from several prior admins. For the past two years it has been pretty much maintaince mode; only break fix. Hardware coming off of support, the incompatibility of too many technologies and the ever changing core products that my company uses is starting to bite them in the backside.

I have a much, what I feel is a larger issue at hand.

But I feel this is important to know.

I found that the domain is still 2000 and needs to be upgraded to 2003; all of the DC are 2003. No plans on going to upgrade 2008; unless absolutely needed.

We have the Exchange 2003 server running on the main DC and BES 4.1 on a separate server. They want to keep BES for those users cause they spent their own personal money to get a BB or whatever phone they chose.

Bottom line is they do not want to spend the money to upgrade; like most small businesses. But are aware of the the risks in not staying current;up-to-date and want to go cheap. I find nothing wrong in wanting this. It makes sense to me 100%. I am in a tricky position because I am the sole admin/ technical person. I have some upper management that like to think they are tech savvy, because they own very piece of Apple hardware (I am a Mac users as well) and get these wild ideas and do not understand the tech part and or limitations. (That's my job to present it to them)

Sorry for the rant everyone. I am trying to find the best approach in addressing each of items in the proper order. I feel I have the scope understood, but really what order these things need to be done it. Oh yeah, one last thing, they do not want me to get any outside; that cost money.

Does this sound familure to anyone else how has worked in the field over that past 10 years?

Comment

Working...
                  X