Backup E00.chk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup E00.chk

Currently we backup Exchange via Backup Exec 2010 using the Exchange agent to do a full online backup each night. This is in its own backup job which gets dumped to disk and then copied to tape later.

In another job, which backups up all the servers we have it backup the rest of the Exchagne server (disks/system state etc) but we have it to exclude the Exchsvr/mdbdata folder.

Question is, do I need to backup the E00.chk file separately or is this included in the regular Exchange Agent full backup?

Thanks.

Andy

Re: Backup E00.chk

You don't need to and shouldn't backup the Exchange database or log files directly. The BackupExec backup job will back up the information store and flush the transaction logs for you as part of the backup job as long as you have those options selected in the Exchange settings of the backup job. In addition, BackupExec has an active file exclusion that will ignore the database files even if you select the directories where those files exist in your backup selection list.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      You don't need to and shouldn't backup the Exchange database or log files directly. The BackupExec backup job will back up the information store and flush the transaction logs for you as part of the backup job as long as you have those options selected in the Exchange settings of the backup job. In addition, BackupExec has an active file exclusion that will ignore the database files even if you select the directories where those files exist in your backup selection list.
      Thanks, yeah thats what I thought too.

I've got the job doing a full backup and also flushing the transaction logs as part of it. It doesn't seem to exclude the database files on a normal backup as the seperate job which backs up all the files (not exchange db backup) uses VSS so takes a snapshot of the files, so I exlcuded the MDBDATA folder for both my store and log drives on Exchange. Hopefully that'll be fine.

Thanks.

Comment

That should be OK.

Comment

Working...
        X