Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space required for Move Mailboxes

Hi,

I am in the process of replacing my old exchange 2000 server with a new Exchange 2003 server. I will be using move mailbox method to move the milboxes to the new server. The database is 60 GB. How much free space is required for moving the mailboxes on the source and destination server?

Re: Space required for Move Mailboxes

The space required can be substantially larger, or not, depending on issues such as Single Instance Technology and others. For example, lets say you have 200 mailboxes that all have different contents, all in the size range of up to 500MB. However, 150 of them all have one email with an attachment of 20MB, sent by the PR company that works for you. When you move these mailboxes, this message will be moved again and again and again, 150 times, and will increase the size of the store. Luckily for us, at the next management interval of the store, the store will automatically clean up the duplicates. But this will only happen at the next interval, and even so it will only clean the store, not make it smaller. In order to decrease its size you'll need to perform an offline defrag, but only if necessary (i.e. event id 1221 says it will free more than 20% of the store size).
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I am not too concerned about the size of the database. I am concerned about the log files that it will generate on both the source and destination servers. I only have 15Gb of free space on the log drive on the old server and 20 GB on the new Server. Is this enaough to move 60GB database? Do I need to run frequent backups to purge the log files on both the servers when moving mailboxes or turn on circular logging on both servers?

Comment

No, I don't believe it's enough. You can, however, turn on curcular logging temporarily for the mailbox transfer. Make sure you have a goooooood backup before doing so.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

So my best option would be to turn on circular logging.

Comment

Working...
          X