MDBDATA library is too big

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDBDATA library is too big

In my exchange server 2000, the mdbdata library is full of log files like E000XXXX.LOG . I know that the files are usefull for recovery, but I do backup every day, so , I guess, I need only the logs from the last day.
    My first question is if it's safe to delete this files after backup.
    My second question is how to do it in the best way (I can writte a script that deletes the old files, but must be a more elegant way!!)

Tnx

Re: MDBDATA library is too big

What backup software are you using?? Do you have the exchange agents installed??

Most software is usually exchange aware and will delete these logs for you.

Comment

Those log files should automatically get "played" into your database when you run a full online backup.

As wullieb1 asked - What backup software are you using ?

What are you backing up ? Are you just doing brick level backups or are you doing a full IS online backup ?

If the former then the logs won't get played, I wouldn't delete them if I were you !!!

The best way to get them played temporarily is to run NTBackup and do a full online backup of your IS to file. It shouldn't take long, then check that the log files have been removed.

topper.
      * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

To add on what's been said already - if you DO have a backup software that is Exchange-aware, and you say you're running full backups each day, one thing I might suspect is the fact that your stores might be corrupted, and although you "think" you're backup ran fine, by looking at the backup and event logs you'll see that in fact you're not backing up anything.

Check it out and come back to us with the relevant information.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

hellow all,
          i am sri lankan. and i am at colombo.

how can i reduse the mdbdata folder size. if i delete that files what will happend?
          pls help me. i am in a big trouble

Thanks
          Rgds
          Aravinda

Comment

You cannot just delete files. Read what's been said in this thread, don't make us repeat ourselves.

The best thing to do is to perform full backups each night. That'll delete the old log files each night.

As for the stores, I don't know how big they are, but if that's your problem then you could either perform an offline defrag (in the assumption that you know what you're doing - look for event id 1221), or move them to a new disk array, bigger thanthe one you're using.

However all this is good in theory, because from the lack of information you gave us I can only guess what your problem is.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Dear Aravinda:
              do Backup!!!
              also ntbackup for an emergency is good.
              Be carefull, the folder must be little than 16 GB in exchange 2000, after 16 GB it'll explode
              Meir

Comment

Working...
              X