Exchange 2003: Some users cannot delete messages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003: Some users cannot delete messages

We are having an issue where some users are getting weird errors.

At first some of the users could not delete anything from their inbox. This fixed itself (somehow) and now they can delete from any folder EXCEPT the Delete folder. If they try to remove from the Delete folder it just does nothing (no errors, no prompts).

Some quick background:
    We are running Exchange 2003 Standard (fully updated) and just moved all users from 1 storage group to another. (From Server 1 to Server 2)
    * Some users are also reporting OWA is not allowing them to send messages.

My mailbox moved with everyone elses and it appears to work fine for me right now. I do know some people had issues moving their data, but in the end it reported as successful.

Is there a program I can run to check the integrity of the data store? I am backing everything up now (exmerge) to a brick level just in case.

Thanks!
    Hobie

Re: Exchange 2003: Some users cannot delete messages

You can use Isinteg from the command line to check the integrity of the Information Store. Plus you want a full back up of your information store. Not just a brick level backup.
    From your description though this sounds like someone has made some global modifications to the permissions on the information store. Hopefully that isnt the case. How many users are affected?

Comment

I run full backups each evening for both servers (although the original is pretty empty right now).

It looks like a permission issue.
      I can delete files, anyone in the domain admin group can delete items but everyone else is still having issues.

Is there a way to copy all settings from one exchange to another or does anyone know where I might look to find and fix the permission issues?

Thanks,
      Hobie

Comment

If its positively permissions related i would contact Microsoft. Even if you don't have a support contract the expense isnt much for a one off incident. As broken permissions in AD and Exchange can have serious consequences if you start modifying them without knowing what you are doing. You run the risk of breaking something else.
        Failing that knock up a Exchange in a lab (Vmware Hyper V etc) and compare the default permissions with the mailbox's in your production environment.

Comment

Quick FYI -

The system appears to have fixed itself.

I'm not sure if I fixed it inadvertently or what happened, but now everyone can magically delete again.

There is another issue I am working on and it might have fixed this (Active Directory replication).

Hobie

Comment

Originally posted by Hobie View Post
            Quick FYI -

The system appears to have fixed itself.

I'm not sure if I fixed it inadvertently or what happened, but now everyone can magically delete again.

There is another issue I am working on and it might have fixed this (Active Directory replication).

Hobie
            Good to hear. And if you have a replication issue between DC's that will positively affect Exchange and by extension the users too.

Comment

Working...
            X