Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 x Exchange 2003 Servers 1 Domain

Hi

This is my first post here so hello everyone, I'm hoping you can help I have following issue-

I have 2 exchange 2003 servers with one domain, both at the same site, I am hoping to spread the mailbox load, here is the site in a nutshell.

server01 - DC, DNS, DHCP & FS

Server02 - DC DNS Exchange (Member)

server03 - Exchange (Master)

server04 - SQL, AV, WINS

I have recently installed Exchange 2003 onto a new server, server02 which is a DC and eventually will become the master Exchange server, my problem is I can send and receive email from server03 externally and internally but not to a test account on server02, I can can send emails externally to server02 and internally to accounts on server02 but not to server03 or receive external emails to server02.

I have completed DNS diagnostics on both servers and cannot see where the issue is.

I would appreciate any help.

Rgds

B

Re: 2 x Exchange 2003 Servers 1 Domain

Beside the fact that installing Exchange 2003 on a DC isn't a good idea at all, you have to make sure that both Exchangeservers can communicate to each other.

Here are several steps I would test/validate:
    • are both server able to telnet on port 25 to each other
    • is DNS resolution working between both server at the virtual SMTP server level
    • does one server have a smart host configured at the virtual SMTP server
    • what does the queue to the respectively other server say in ESM on each server.

Comment

Hi FischFra

many thanks for your prompt reply

I know about the DC but I have exchange on another DC without any issues.

Here are my answers to your questions:-

are both server able to telnet on port 25 to each other

I can telnet to each server from each server without problems.

is DNS resolution working between both server at the virtual SMTP server level

I am unsure what you mean by "at the virtual SMTP server level" how do I test this?

I have ran DNS test and they both resolve each other, I can move a mailbox using exchange task to each server back and forth and can see mailboxes on each server.

does one server have a smart host configured at the virtual SMTP server

No smart hosts have been added as I know this causes a problem.

what does the queue to the respectively other server say in ESM on each server.

The queues state servername.domainname.local on each of the servers.

Many thanks.

B

Comment

You have a check DNS button in the virtual SMTP server on one of the register cards (Delivery --> Advanced --> Check DNS).

Are the queus between the servers green?

Move mailboxes between servers have nothing to do with mailcommunication between each other, so if one works the other don't have to work necessarily.
        What tells the message tracking if you send mails from a mailbox from one server to a mailbox at the other server?

Comment

ah yes sorry I have clicked the check DNS and they resolve.

the queues on are not green they have a little blue icon in the corner and are not showing as system.

What tells the message tracking if you send mails from a mailbox from one server to a mailbox at the other server? apologies not sure what you mean?

Comment

If you click at the blue queue you will get a additional status info at the botton of the queue screen, what tells this message, what happens if you click "force connection"?

Under tools you have the Message Tracking Center, there you can track messages sent (or received) by spcific people and for specific server. If you have sent a message you should get information there about the status.

Is any of the queus at one of your servers filled with messages?

Comment

when I check the queues on each server pertaining to accounts on either server the messages are sat with the status "retry"

I have ran the message tracking on an email I sent from the administrator account from server03 to server02 I have attached as a I have removed the server and domain references, the file is called server.pdf file.

I would appreciate if you could have a look.

Thanks again for your help.
              Attached Files

Comment

Regarding the queue view, you should have a look ate the bottom of the screen there is a field called Additional Queue information, sometimes there are usufull information regarding the reason why the queue is at retry state.

You can also enable the logging at the virtual SMTP server at your Server 02 to look further whats going on at the connection.

Whats with filled queues at your server, are there any?

Comment

Hi

the additional Queue information shows "The semaphore timeout period has expired"

The only queues I have on server02 are the retry queue for server03 and the emails I have sent to myself (NTL Account), I can send externally but not internally or receive them either.

I have the logging enabled on the smtp virtual connection but cannot understand the logs.

Comment

A quick search with this error message gives me this:
                    http://weblogs.asp.net/freeswing/arc...01/396642.aspx

There you several reasons for this message, please check if any of this applies to you.

Comment

Hi

I think we may have made some headway, I decided to run the internet mail wizard and it complained about network card load balancing, I setup NIC teaming and believe this maybe causing an issue.

I will be going on-site on Thursday so will dissolve the teaming and test my theory.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again for your help.

B

Comment

Working...
                      X