Exchange, AD, etc..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange, AD, etc..

Dont know if this is the correct forum, but it involves Exchange so here goes. I have a small network of 7 users in a domain, the domain name is the FQN of their main email address. The server is a old , on its last legs, underpowered piece of equipment. it provides DNS,DHCP, AD Exchange, file serving and is also the back up server. (no wonder its failing..). I am replacing all of the clinet pc's and the server with 3 servers, one for Exchange/AD one for Backup and the other for File serving. My question is, as its only 7 users should i try and introduce the new servers into the existing domain/forest and transfer all services across then decomission the old server, or create a new domain and "port" all the info over.

the old server runs W2K SP4/ex 2000. the new servers are all w2003 sp1. when i tried adding one of the new servers as a DC it failed and led me down the path of Adprep and mangled entries, this is why i thought about creating a new domain from scratch and recreating all the accounts.

I also have another question, does the domain name in AD HAVE to be a "real" domain name or can it be anything i want, and if it has to be a real one, does it have to be registered to the company, ie can i call the domain "OFFICE" for instance.

All help gratefully recd.

Thanks
    ________
    vaporizers
    Last edited by Richie; 19th January 2011, 19:46.

Re: Exchange, AD, etc..

Have you considered looking at SBS2003 as a viable option. 3 servers in a 7 user domain is a bit overboard.

The Domain name can be the FQDN with local added onto the end. ie microsoft.com.local

When you tried adding the 2003 server into the domain, did you first run Forestprep and Domainprep on the AD?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I did consider it but there are other factors that meant we needed to go with the 3 server option. by putting .local at the end of the domain, does that mean i can call it anything i like..

When i ran forest prep it failed due to some issues, which is why i'm think of starting from scratch.

regards
      ________
      buy herbalaire
      Last edited by Richie; 19th January 2011, 19:47.

Comment

Read the following re Domain naming restrictions. http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...j_ipa_hgjg.asp
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

thanks biggles, that tells me what i can use character wise, what i want to know is can i call the domain a name other than my email address (to put it simply). when exchange sends a mail it uses the server name and the local doamin in the header. if this is NOT my email address domain will i get problems.
          thanks
          ________
          vaporizer reviews

Comment

You can call you domain anything you like. diddlewank.com.local . Your external FQDN www.myactualdomain.com , is where your email is going to be sent. The MX record at your ISP is going to direct the email to your router which will then forward it to the correct server. Think carefully what you will call your internal domain. It might be best to use your external name and drop .local on the end. I see no point in confusing things by mixing things up. ie www.microsoft.com (external) and using apple.com.local (internal).
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Plus, see

http://www.petri.com/configure_excha...er_domains.htm

thus you can name your domain anything you like (and it is even advisable to not use your external domain name on your internal AD name).
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks Biggles/Daniel
                I've decided to create the new AD from scratch and create new accounts and a new Exchange install with new accounts, so obviously i cant name the domain the same as it already is ( unless there is a way i can but dont know) as i am building it on the same bit of wire as the existing one( i suppose i could put the new setup on a separate switch and call it the same.. decisions, decisons) This is why i needed to know if i could call it anything i like as we only own one FQDN.

One last question, what is it that tells windows a domain already exists on the network if you try and create another one of the same name, If i put the new setup on a different ip private ip range (172.16... not 192.168..) would i then be able to do it, I have a suspision it still wouldn't let me, i would just like to know how it does it ?

Thanks
                ________
                RC172

Comment

Working...
                X