Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Deplyment?

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to deply an Exchange server in our company but before that I have some questions for the experts to answer them please:

1. Does the Exchange has to be installed on an DC Server?
    2. Does the Exchange require it's own server to install on?
    3. What are the requierments if I want to implement Company's email?

Thanks,

Habibalby
    Last edited by habibalby; 9th October 2005, 10:09.
    ================================
    HND: Higher National Diploma in
    Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
    MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
    Done:VMware DSA
    ================================[/COLOR]

Re: Exchange Deplyment?

First- Deployment guide. I was in your position about 10 months ago, this should help:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../depguide.mspx

1. Does the Exchange has to be installed on an DC Server?

Not necessary, but there are exceptions. Is this the only server in the network?

Are you going to run a Domain?

Are you going to run Active Directory?

2. Does the Exchange require it's own server to install on?

Typically you want Exchange on its own server. It makes it much easier to manage and backup.

3. What are the requierments if I want to implement Company's email?

If you run any email server you will need at least 2 things: a static IP address, a MX record pointing to you mail server.

Comment

thanx for your reply mncoughlin,

What are these exceptions?

This not only the one server in the Network, there will be minimum 5 Servers.
      1. Application Server
      2. DB SQL Server
      3. DC Server [i]May be will be mix DC as well as Application Server.
      4. ISA Server
      5. Firewall and Proxy for VPN Connectivity.

Yes, I'm running now DC with a Domain.
      Yes, I do have Active Directory and this thing needs to be managed will also.

Typically you want Exchange on its own server. It makes it much easier to manage and backup.
      What about if I put in the Applicaition Server? Does this makes sense?

a MX record pointing to you mail server.
      What u mean by a MX record to point to the mail server?

Thanks for ur support.

habibalby
      Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

It is recommended that you DON'T install exchange on a DC, i think its mainly due to services shutting down slowly. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

Exchange server slow shutdowns

The MX record is the Mail eXchanger record that is held in DNS. When a mail server queries DNS for the record for the mail exchange box that you have it will specifically ask for this record.

Short Descrition of MX records

Comment

Do you have any of the servers deployed yet? It sounds like you are just starting to build the domain/network. Not a big deal unless you are using the forum to do homework

Here is a server deployment guide which will help you get started:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...443d7ea4b.mspx

Of course Microsoft wants everything on its own server and in most cases it does work better. But, you can combine services, print server/app server/dns and many others. You just have to be willing to take the consequences if the server crashes.

If you are just starting to build this network please let the experts know- it makes it much easier to help and many of the items are inter-related. Also, Microsoft has many documents and processes for determining the server requirements.

Good Luck

Comment

Well, actually you are right. In current situation there is a Network exsist in our Company with a Win2k3 OS. We have an AD configured as well as DNS in the same Machine. And what I'm doing is planning, desiging everything that we required for a proper network as well as VPN and Remote Connectivity.

I have got some MS white paper with me for Planning and Designing the AD, and some other things as well, and really they help alots.

Thats why I'm here asking the experts to gain some more information that will help me to do my work perfectly. And thanks for you guys in helping me in these issues. I really appreciated.

regards,

habibalby
            Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Well it sounds like you have a start with a 2003 server and AD running. From a design standpoint, you probably want to get the core items running first before tackling the remote access.

First on my list would be a firewall. Which one will depend on how many users and what type of access you require including VPN/Server Access/Streaming/Mail/etc.

From a business prespective what is the most important application you have?
              SQL/Propreitary software?

I would then look at if this stuff will move or how it can be accessed from the network. Once done I would move onto installing Exchange locally so that everything on the internal network can email & communicate with the exchange server and its options.

Once you are at this point the rest is downhill, get the Exchange onto the Internet and start configuring your remote access. You can use Microsoft or go with a remote access server/box from anyone of the network equipment manufacturers.

After thinking about it, your question of Can you run Exchange with other applications is- yes, but would I run Exchange with the corporate SQL database? NO.

Comment

yes, even me i don't agree with the exsisting layout actually. The exsisting network, server and system is all in one. We have got one server running win2k3 std Ed. in this server Great Plains installed, SQL 2000 as well as the Active Directory running on this server Which is entirely wrong i beleive if you are agree with me

What I'm planning is to seperate to the following infrastratcure:

1. Allocate Rack with Patch Panel for good mount cabling and Switches.
                2. Application Server that will run any Application inculding GP.
                3. Database Server
                4. Domain Controller Server
                5. Firewall and ISA Server
                6. Exchange Server

But before I deply anything, I'm writing out the documenation right now and put everything currently exsist in the network and how it will looks inthe future for the modification that I'm gonna make.

Lots of things are there needs to be corrected to work smoothly and totally managed network enviornment.

If I missed something or you have something u need to correct, please don't hesistate. I'm a biggenner with les resources and u guys will guide me to the correct things.

habibalby.
                Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

if I want to use the VPN and Exchange Server 2003. VPN for remote connection to use the company's system and Exchange for the emails Company.com.

is it possible to use on public Static IP address for both?

Or each one has to have separte Public IP ?

Thanks,

Habibalby
                  Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Working...
                  X