Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

moving to domain different than Exchange?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving to domain different than Exchange?

***Moving to new domain***

hello mates,

I have just joined this forum and kind a new in exchange so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have just joined a company and they are running exchange 2003 which is replica also of our single domain controller. ISA 2004 running on seperate machine.

my company is running Exchange 2003 with abc.com that is our website and we are using abc.com as our domain name as well. Now the company wants to move onto the new domain which represents our organization more appropriately like abc.edu.uk. From then they want to use this abc.edu.uk domain rather than abc.com to get all the emails for their users as we have 100 users approx. which have email addressess on our abc.com.

I want to do it smoothly with minimum downtime. but I don't know where to start as exchange 2003 is new for me. I'm confused what to do and from where to start as this job means lot to me and I'm just a week old in this company. kindly suggest what to do to accomplish this task
    Thanks
    Last edited by shoman; 30th October 2010, 18:32. Reason: spelling mistake.

Re: mobing to domain different than Exchange?

this is actually really very simple.

Firstly, do some research about Exchange Recipient Policies.
    Then, in Exchange System Manager, find the Recipient policy.
    Add a new recipient policy, for %f.%[email protected] for instance
    (this will make the new email addresses [email protected])

Then, find a script that will ensure "automatsically update addresses based on policy" is configured for all users.

Once you've got all that setup (but not yet configureD)

Then, register the new domain abc.edu.uk.
    Ensure you have an MX address registered for your front end IP address.
    THen, enable your recipient policy.
    Wait for all the email addresses to apply.

All good to go - no real downtime needed.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      this is actually really very simple.

Firstly, do some research about Exchange Recipient Policies.
      Then, in Exchange System Manager, find the Recipient policy.
      Add a new recipient policy, for %f.%[email protected] for instance
      (this will make the new email addresses [email protected])

Then, find a script that will ensure "automatsically update addresses based on policy" is configured for all users.

Once you've got all that setup (but not yet configureD)

Then, register the new domain abc.edu.uk.
      Ensure you have an MX address registered for your front end IP address.
      THen, enable your recipient policy.
      Wait for all the email addresses to apply.

All good to go - no real downtime needed.
      Thanks for your prompt reply but what about the AD machine? would it need some changes or configuration to be made or I just need to follow your steps to do so...and yes Obviously I need to goto every user to change the outlook setting and their email addresses to abc.com to abc.edu.uk right??

Comment

nahh no need to change anything in AD
        when you change the Recipient Policy, assuming the users are all using proper exchange, and not pop3 , it will change it automatically

when you have some time,
        log on to your AD server. open AD users and computers
        then go to the exchange tabs
        you will notice that there is a tick at th ebottom "automatically assign addrsses based on recipient policy" (or somehting like that) and also a 3 or 4 actual email addresses. One will be bold - this is the default. your new or amended recipient policy will change the default, thereby chyanging the emai laddresss they are sending from
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          nahh no need to change anything in AD
          when you change the Recipient Policy, assuming the users are all using proper exchange, and not pop3 , it will change it automatically
          Thanks tehcamel,

We are using POP3 all over the network and other cities too due to storage issues but like 10 users are using proper exchange. so what do you recommend in this case?

Thanks for you reply,

Comment

the ones using POP3, yes you'll need to amend each individual outlook profile to reference the new domain

the ones using Exchange and Outlook via MAPI (normal exchange) you shouldn't need to change it at all

Comment

thanks mate
              I will difinitely let you know when the moving process starts.
              Thanks a lot once again

Comment

Working...
              X