Exchange 2003 behind ISA Server 2006

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 behind ISA Server 2006

Hi to all, i just want a clarification regarding this setup.

First of all i want my exchange to send & receive mails on the internet. I have 1 static ip provided by my ISP. I have a domain name & DNS services purchase at easyhost.com named "inotna.com".

Is it possible to use my registrars name at easyhost.com instead of my ISP for the MX records? If yes, how do i do it? is there any additional configurations on my exchange? like the SMTP Connector,SMTP virtual server etc. same as with my ISA? I already published my Exchange SMTP and OWA services on my ISA server, tested it with telnet "myip" 25 and its ok.

And also i already skimmed the guide provided by SEMBEE amset.info/exchange/dynamicip.asp but im a little bit confused.

1. "Change your MX record for your domain to point to your new Dynamic DNS name." What does this mean? you mean my MX record should have a separate hostname/Domain than "inotna.com"?

2. "An MX Record cannot be an IP address, but it can be a host name that is outside of your domain name.
    For example the MX record for example.com could be mail.example.net" how do i do that? i already got a domain "inotna.com" should i create a subdomain named "mail.inotna.com" for my mx?

3. Should the two domain and subdomain names "mail.inotna.com" and "inotna.com" be forwarded to my Public ip to work?

I know my internal DNS will not help me out sending&receving mails outside. Please enlighten me i dont have a quite knowledge on web domains/DNS and such . Currently im stuck on this situation.

Re: Exchange 2003 behind ISA Server 2006

ok. An MX record is a specific host record that exists in DNS. It does not need to be mail.inota.com - it can be anything.

What it DOES have to have though, is a corresponding reverse lookup.
    So, if you use mail.inota.com for instance, and it's static IP is 75.123.45.6 then you would need:
    an A Record for "mail" to ip 75.123.45.6
    a reverse lookup (ptr) for 75.123.45.6 that references mail.inota.com
    an MX record, mail.inota.com with a weight of 10

do you want your exchange mailserver to receive all the email for Inota.com?
    If so, then yes, your MX record should be the same as your external IP address.

I'll explain how my previous employer did it.

1. We had a DNS hosting company, let's call them Easyhost.net
    2. We had one static ip from our internet company, let's call them verizon
    3. we had Exchange 2003 installed adn configured to accept mail for employer.com
    4. We had the firewall forwarding traffic on the static ip to the exchange server.

5. At Easyhost, we created a record type A, let's call it "headoffice.employer.com"
    6. at easyhost, we creatd a record type PTR called 12.34.56.78 for headoffice.employment.com
    7. at easyhost, we created an MX record, called "headoffice.employer.com" with a weight of 10

So Easyhost have hosted all our DNS. Verizon have provided us with an IP address and an internet connection.

does this help you at all mate?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the fast response tehcamel, i appreciate it.

ok. An MX record is a specific host record that exists in DNS. It does not need to be mail.inota.com - it can be anything.

What it DOES have to have though, is a corresponding reverse lookup.
      So, if you use mail.inota.com for instance, and it's static IP is 75.123.45.6 then you would need:
      an A Record for "mail" to ip 75.123.45.6
      a reverse lookup (ptr) for 75.123.45.6 that references mail.inota.com
      an MX record, mail.inota.com with a weight of 10
      Correct me if im wrong, "MAIL" and "INOTNA.COM" should have a separate A record? say...

mail.inotna.com to my public ip 75.123.45.6
      inotna.com to my public ip 75.123.45.6

So, mail.inotna.com is my MX record and my MAIL domain is @inotna.com? If a user from the internet sends an email to [email protected] it'll find my MX record mail.inotna.com and when it does, mail.inotna.com will redirect the request to "INOTNA.COM (75.123.45.6) which will then communicate my ISA server and now to my exchange. Is that how the process goes?

3. we had Exchange 2003 installed adn configured to accept mail for employer.com
      4. We had the firewall forwarding traffic on the static ip to the exchange server.
      3. How do i configure my exchange to do exactly like that? Please enlighten me.
      4. Is ISA 2006 capable with that? Btw, i already made a rule for my OWA, Exchange SMTP,Activesync and such.

Thanks

Comment

we configured exchange just by using the recipient policy
        look for info on recipient update service and recipient policy.

to use ISA to publish smtp port 25, there should be a publishing wizard
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Finally got my MX record configured quite happy but. i got a problem. I've attached a screenshot from checkdns.net results for your reference. The error states.

1. Probably mail server does not accept mail for INOTNA.NET and recognizes
          this as relay attempt.
          2. Some of your MX do not work properly

As you can see on the screenshot, the smtp banner reply was "cxmail1.concentrix.com". That was my FQDN of my exchange server internally and concentrix is my AD/DOMAIN.

Am i missing something? i doubt my ISA configurations has to do with this. I suspect my exchange settings wasn't properly configured and i don't know where to start looking. I think i'm so near to have this worked. Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

ok - this is where your recipient policy comes into play

you have to create (or edit) your recipient policy, so it can know it's accepting mail for inotana.com

i can't remember exactly where this is off the top of my head, but it's up the top of Exchange System Manager, under Recipient Update Service, or something like that

Comment

great.... worked like a charm i edit the default recipient policy and made an SMTP for @inotna.net instead of @concentrix.com and X400 INOTNA for all users (*). I can received emails now but another problem got me, i can't send out emails on the internet as i wanted. Upon checking on the system manager, Exchange Query tells me that the message for the specific domain that i want to send mail into(e.g @yahoo.com, @gmail.com, @hotmail.com) has been queued for no possible reason. Below is the config of my SMTP VS and Connector.

SMTP Connector - i point my ISA Server's internal ip as my smart host/relay. Is this correct? im not really sure what i'm doing.
              SMTP Virtual Server - My Exchange IP is used in here. FQDN is cxmail1.concentrix.com. As for the External DNS and Smart host i leave it blank.

I haven't set my reverse DNS (PTR) record yet. I doubt this has something to do with the problem as my message didnt leave my exchange server yet its QUEUED. Exchange server is configured as SECURENAT on the ISA, i am able to ping yahoo.com on my exchange server and i am able to test smtp connectivity from my exchange to an outside smtp server and got a banner response from them.

Thanks tehman for assisting me hope you can help me further
              Last edited by sp37zn4z; 1st November 2010, 13:59.

Comment

Originally posted by sp37zn4z View Post
                SMTP Connector - i point my ISA Server's internal ip as my smart host/relay. Is this correct? im not really sure what i'm doing.
                SMTP Virtual Server - My Exchange IP is used in here. FQDN is cxmail1.concentrix.com. As for the External DNS and Smart host i leave it blank.
                No, your smart host ( if you are using one) should be your ISP's Smart Host, it'll normally be something like mail.ispbusiness.com. The ISA Server won't relay your mail so that'll stop it flowing out.

If you don't specifiy a Smart Host in Exchange it'll try to use DNS to route the mail, but you can sometimes run into issues with other domains not accepting your server as a trsuted sender which is where you might need a smart host.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

@cruachan

Where should i put my ISP's smart host ? SMTP Connector or the Virtual Server?

Thanks for looking unto my problem

Comment

SMTP Connector is better practice.
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Cheers people i made it work with the help of you guys cruachan and tehcamel thanks a bunch. I didn't use my ISP's SMTP smart host though.... for some reasons i'm having a hard time talking with them. Maybe i'll try some other time till my free open relay smtp stop working.

Anyway one last question, is there any other way to send out mails than relaying to a smart host/ISP's SMTP? I mean what if i chose to "Use DNS to route each address space"? What DNS will be used here? My Internal DNS? or the one where my MX was made?

Comment

It just means DNS in general is used to route email, rather than sending directly to the Smart Host and then allowing it to route the messages. Your internal DNS would be used onto the internet, and then either forwarders (if you have them configured) or Root Hints until the messages reach their destination.

No issues with using this setup at all, but you can sometimes run into issues with certain domains not accepting email from your domain, so you might have to use the smart host to prevent that.
                        sigpic
                        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

so have you got your outbound mail flow working ?

Comment

@tehcamel

yes inbound and outbound mails works smoothly.... convinced my ISP to make an RDNS(PTR) record for mail.inotna.net thanks again for your help.

Comment

Working...
                            X